SSD stripe to a weekly HDD mirror backup

Deogorn

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a solution of combining a 2TB SSD and 2x 12TB HDDs.

I am new to servers and data hoarding. After my laptop HDD died I received a rude awakening call and decided to invest in redundancy and backups.

I got an 8GB RAM Zimaboard and a 2TB SSD because I like the idea of having a silent server. However, I would also like to add 2 mirrored HDDs to archive all of my data (I will add a separate backup machine in the future). The Idea I am trying to implement is to have a pool with the SSD for frequently used files that will be running silently and a pool of the mirrored HDDs that will only turn on for an automated weekly backup and sometimes for access to the archived files.

Is this a good solution and if so how would it be implemented in TrueNas?

My first attempt was creating a pool with the two HDDs with the SSD being used as a cache, however, the HDDs were always on despite adding a standby timer with level 1 power management which defeated the whole silent server Idea.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is this a good solution and if so how would it be implemented in TrueNas?
I'd seriously question whether the Zimaboard is really appropriate hardware for TrueNAS. But leaving that aside, yes, what you're suggesting is entirely possible. Create two pools, one with the SSDs and the other with the HDDs. Create any shared directories and the like on the SSD pool. Then set up a weekly replication task to replicate that pool to the HDD pool--the docs (link at the top of the page) describe how to do this.

Deogorn

Cadet
Thank you. That sounds like the solution I was looking for. I´ll try it and later report the result.