New User Setup Problems

JC1

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

I've just bought my first NAS - a Small Terramaster F2-221 with 2x4TB HDDs which l've upgraded with a 8GB DDR3 RAM stick to provide 10GB RAM overall. My plan was to replace the packaged OS with TrueNAS, install TrueNAS onto one HDD and use he 2nd as a mirror as l built up my home network. However l've since learnt that l cannot utilise any of the space on the HDD which has TrueNAS installed, which is frustrating.

I've seen that it is possible to manually partition the boot drive, but that this isn't recommended. I've also read that running TrueNAS from a USB stick isn't recommended.

My question is - Is TrueNAS really an option for me given my set up? Could l boot from a USB attached SSD thus getting around the problem, albeit making my setup a bit more Frankenstein-esque. Or should l look at other NAS OS Options?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
First bit of bad news about that:
2GB of RAM (expandable up to 4GB)

If you were to somehow find a way to get to the absolute minimum RAM requirement of 8GB for TrueNAS (16 is usually a good starting point), you might consider using a USB to SATA converter or an external USB SSD enclosure to install to an SSD (not a USB stick), which is fine.

You're probably best to stick with Terramaster's own OS as supplied with the unit or looking into something like OpenMediaVault.

Reactions: JC1

JC1

Cadet
Thanks for the response.

Terramaster does say its expandable up to 4GB, but its widely accepted that you can stick in an 8GB stick and get to 10, which is what l've done and works fine.

I saw this post with someone doing basically the same, but mounting all of the workings inside the case.

Im wanting to use this set up as a plex/jellyfin server and Pihole DNS but l'm worried l'm already off to a bad start.

sretalla