New user. Internal HDD not recognized.

LemonBag

Dabbler
Specs should be in my newly made signature. If they are not visible to you, here they are below.

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F
CPU: Intel Pentium G4560
RAM: Nemix MEM-DR416L-CL01-EU21
PSU: Corsair RM850
Boot SATA SSD 1: Patriot Burst Elite 120gb
Boot SATA SSD 2: Lexar NS100 128gb
HDD array: Presently all HGST enterprise class HDD (Model Number: HUH721010ALE601)
Pool 1: 3-way mirror; 10tb
Pool 2: 2-way mirror; 10tb

The delineated "pools" above are my ideal configuration. What I am trying to accomplish basically. There are no pools configured currently in my TrueNAS system. There are no hardware raid cards or SAS HBA adapters or any PCI add in cards what so ever. There is only an old dell monitor with a vga output connected, a wired membrane keyboard and mouse to each of the 2 separate USB ports, and an ethernet cable going to an unmanaged tenda (model: SG108) ethernet switch.
Current OS install:
Version:
TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3

(As stated by the Web GUI)

New user here. I have plugged in all my HDD and SSD to the system. I had trouble even getting the system to post to the truenas GUI, but after reconfiguring the boot order in the bios by mashing f11 that issue seems to have been fixed. I am now in the freenas GUI. (I can post pictures of what the boot order in the bios is if that would be helpful or give even further details about my setup such as how everything is connected if that is also helpful.

I currently cannot seem to mirror my boot SSD's together. Upon doing
System > Boot > Actions > Boot pool status > triple dot icon > attach > drop down menu to select "ada0 119.24 GiB" > submit
I get the following error as copied and pasted below

Error: [EFAULT] concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback: """ Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 220, in extend i['target'].attach(newvdev) File "libzfs.pyx", line 402, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__ File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 220, in extend i['target'].attach(newvdev) File "libzfs.pyx", line 2117, in libzfs.ZFSVdev.attach libzfs.ZFSException: can only attach to mirrors and top-level disks During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 246, in _process_worker r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 111, in main_worker res = MIDDLEWARE._run(*call_args) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 45, in _run return self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, args, job=job) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call return methodobj(*params) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call return methodobj(*params) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 985, in nf return f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 223, in extend raise CallError(str(e), e.code) middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EZFS_BADTARGET] can only attach to mirrors and top-level disks """ The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 355, in run await self.future File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 386, in __run_body rv = await self.middleware._call_worker(self.method_name, *self.args, job={'id': self.id}) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1250, in _call_worker return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1169, in run_in_proc return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1152, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EZFS_BADTARGET] can only attach to mirrors and top-level disks
CLOSE

I also cannot currently see any of my 5 HDD's in the truenas GUI either under System > Boot OR Storage > Disk OR Storage > Import Disk.

I have not put these drives inside a windows machine except for one of them. I saw the import option and thought perhaps I could work around this issue by formatting it under NTFS and then converting it over to TrueNAS/ZFS in the webgui. Unfortunately, this troubleshooting step I performed did not seem to work.

Any help with this issue is appreciated. I built the system off helpful reccomendations of seemingly frequent posters of the forums. I decided to go ahead and purchase the parts to actually play around with what I can instead of just relying on theory alone/reading forum threads. Coming from windows and very ittle linux/terminal experience, but I am okay with the headaches I am currently facing in learning this useful system.

Last edited:

probain

Patron
If you aren't able to see your HDDs. How did you setup your pools? Is this via a RAID card or through BIOS somehow?

LemonBag

Dabbler
If you aren't able to see your HDDs. How did you setup your pools? Is this via a RAID card or through BIOS somehow?
Sorry my mistake. I will update the posting right away. The pools I had in my signature and delineated above are my IDEAL configuration----what I'm trying to setup. I have no pools currently configured.

LemonBag

Dabbler
There is no hardware raid or SAS HBA or anything of that nature connected to the system at this point in time.

probain

Patron
  • Are you connecting all drives directly on the motherboard via SATA cables?
  • Are the cables in good condition? Have you tried new?
  • Does your BIOS see the drives? Maybe settings there could help?
    • If Yes:
    • Try another OS on the same machine? Either a Linux Live-CD, TrueNAS Scale, or maybe even Windows. Key point here is on the same machine.
    • If No:
    • Check your hardware connections. Cables, ports etc etc.

NugentS

MVP
Can you provide the results from a "zpool status -v" from the shell please. I have a suspicion and that woiuld confirm (or not) my suspicion

LemonBag

Dabbler
  • Are the cables in good condition? Have you tried new?
  • Does your BIOS see the drives? Maybe settings there could help?
    • If Yes:
    • Try another OS on the same machine? Either a Linux Live-CD, TrueNAS Scale, or maybe even Windows. Key point here is on the same machine.
    • If No:
    • Check your hardware connections. Cables, ports etc etc.
Apologies for the delayed responses everyone

Yes

Tried both the red sata data cables that came with the supermicro motherboard and some generic black ones I had lying around. No success. I will try reseating all the drives again.

Does your BIOS see the drives? Maybe settings there could help?

Bios DOES NOT see the drives. I will post an image shortly what I currently see.

LemonBag

Dabbler
Can you provide the results from a "zpool status -v" from the shell please. I have a suspicion and that woiuld confirm (or not) my suspicion
Yes I can try this shortly. I am currently showing everyone what I am seeing on the screen, reseatting cables, and I will attempt to relog into true nas

LemonBag

Dabbler
20231111_201003.jpg
Current status: I have turned on the PC with truenas installed. It failed to boot. I hit f11 until I got here.

LemonBag

Dabbler
20231111_201139.jpg

I hit enter setup and I moved to this page of the bios to show my boot order.

LemonBag

Dabbler
20231111_201511.jpg
this is the error I get when I first turn on the PC AND when I exited without saving the bios just now

LemonBag

Dabbler
When rebooting just now I selected "P1: Patriot Burst Elite 120GB" I do not know what it means by "P1" OR what this option really does. Upon selecting it I go back the the same error message with a black screen shown above

LemonBag

Dabbler
Same thing if I click on the UEFI OS option for that patriot burst elite option

LemonBag

Dabbler
20231111_202717.jpg
Here are my ports going into the motherboard. Red cable on bottom orange port is linked to the patriot SSD. The one above it is the lexar ssd I would eventually like to mirror with as a boot drive. Including these images as perhaps truenas is being finicky with the exact ports im using?
20231111_202723.jpg

Last edited:

LemonBag

Dabbler
16997526279182246197780074015912.jpg

Here's what that patriot SSD looks like BEFORE re seating any cables. Upon handling, it does not feel like it wants to push in anymore

LemonBag

Dabbler
I cannot boot into truenas with the lexar ssd either

probain

Patron
If you're having troubles seeing the drives from bios. Then that is where you have to look to get fixed first. It doesn't really matter what OS you put ontop, if the underlying foundation isn't functioning as it should.

I would do the following.
Clear CMOS.
Take out every drive. And try each port one by one.
Look through the BIOS and manual for anything related.
Are the SATA controllers enabled? (see manual linked, page #87)

Keep variables between tries to an absolute minimum. It takes crazy amount of time. But is basically the only way to really find out what the problem is.

Last edited: