Can't create new pool, error is [EFAULT] Failed to mount dataset: Mount point or dataset is busy

I was running freenas 11.3 for a few years hadn’t touched it at all, but my system went offline and wouldn’t boot. I discovered that removing one of the drives resolved the issue, so I decided while I’m at it, I should upgrade things. I formatted the problem drive, reinserted it, and freenas booted back up. I then deleted the pool associated with the problem drive and then I manually upgraded to truenas core 13. Now I’m trying to make a new pool, and I get the error “[EFAULT] Failed to mount dataset: Mount point or dataset is busy”. I tried removing the drive that caused issues, putting in a clean drive, rebooting, and I still see the error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Expanding the error I see -
Code:
Error: concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 858, in mount
    dataset.mount()
  File "libzfs.pyx", line 402, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 858, in mount
    dataset.mount()
  File "libzfs.pyx", line 3698, in libzfs.ZFSDataset.mount
libzfs.ZFSException: mountpoint or dataset is busy

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 246, in _process_worker
    r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 111, in main_worker
    res = MIDDLEWARE._run(*call_args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 45, in _run
    return self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, args, job=job)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call
    return methodobj(*params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call
    return methodobj(*params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 985, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 861, in mount
    raise CallError(f'Failed to mount dataset: {e}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to mount dataset: mountpoint or dataset is busy
"""

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 355, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 391, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 981, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 735, in do_create
    raise e
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 704, in do_create
    await self.middleware.call('zfs.dataset.mount', data['name'])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1283, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1248, in _call
    return await self._call_worker(name, *prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1254, in _call_worker
    return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1173, in run_in_proc
    return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1156, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to mount dataset: mountpoint or dataset is busy

I have now tried reinstalling truenas 13 via a USB while saving my settings and configurations, creating the pool with different drives, and disabling SMB while creating the pool, but I still see the same error.

I have now done a clean install (format) of truenas, updated my bios to the latest version, put in a brand new hard drive, and when I click create pool on the clean install, I get the same error. I'm at my wits end right now, I have no clue what the problem could be unless I have a bad motherboard.

I am having the same problem and I went through the same steps as you did. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything.

More help would be appreciated.

I had the same issue today. My solution was to:

1. use the shell to delete all the partitions on the drive using gpart
  2. Destroy the partitioning scheme using gpart
  3. Create the pool using zpool
  4. Create the data set using zfs
  5. reset the server
  6. import the pool.
  7. Then I can modify as necesssary in the GUI.

Hagen

Cadet
I have the same problem with the version TrueNAS-13.1-MASTER-20231... -> trial version!
When I downgrade to TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3, there are no errors.