New TrueNAS user & new build

fmgda

Cadet
Disclaimer: I'm still trying to learn as much as possible and only started reading about TrueNAS and related server hardware last weekend so apologies if something below makes no sense :smile: it's work-in-progress.

Hi everyone,

I'm salvaging whatever I can from my existing QNAP TVS-871T (+ QNAP TX-800P expansion) following the DEADBOLT ransomware mess. I'm going to wipe the system today and hopefully start fresh (i.e. complete wipe-out of the system / factory-reset / etc.). In doing so, I'm considering two things:
  1. Try to install TrueNAS Scale and see if things work as intended (TBD and not too hopeful but that's fine). If it doesn't work I'll just install QNAP fresh but keep its internet access limited and mostly use it locally.
  2. Take the opportunity to improve the system's processing capabilities and number of bays by creating a new server with TrueNAS that can connect via the local network to the QNAP to continue leveraging its 16 bays.
I had other wishes for the case but I want to continue using my Lehmann 20599-S-Silent server cabinet which unfortunately limits the length of the rack to 60cm or so. It's been tricky finding a reasonably priced and meeting the requirements case. I'm still considering alternatives to bring the price of this setup down since as it is it will cost some money. I considered Intel initially but finding a server-graded combination for a CPU reasonably priced and available, that has quick sync video, ECC support and provides a significant Passmark improvement was non-trivial (e.g. Xeon W-1390P or Xeon E-2388G were under my radar) but it would be significantly cheaper than the configuration above.

How I use my QNAP and how will I use my TrueNAS+QNAP (if I eventually go ahead with this)?
Primarily for our family Plex Media Server (2-3 users sometimes in parallel) where we have 4K HDR content and in 60% or so of the cases a 1080p version, and secondarily for data backup, VPN and some low-key VM. Eventually down the line I'd like to use it with some custom data processing service if I find time to play on personal coding projects.

The idea would be to have the two systems connected via a 2.5Gbps Switch (I already have the QNAP QSW-1105-5T). Not sure if there are better ideas out there.

Any feedback, suggestions and ideas are more than welcome. Thanks!

fmgda

Cadet
I went ahead with this with a small change on the MOBO side as I got my hands on a second-hand highly discounted Supermicro H12SSL-CT. I also didn't install TrueNAS on QNAP because of likely issues with thunderbolt 2 connector between the main QNAP and the extension.

I'm a bit concerned with support for all of this in TrueNAS Scale... especially the H12 motherboard and the AMD EPYC 7xx3 series. Let's see.

Last edited: