New TrueNAS User - 1 Issue

AntoninKyrene

Dabbler
UPDATE
I finally added the additional 32 GB of RAM, and I disabled the onboard Realtek chip in favor of an Intel i210 PCIe x1 card. What a monumental difference in file transfers with the new NIC. It's like going from 8-track straight to DAT. (Or 128 MP3 to FLAC maybe, for the younger generation?)

@danb35
The better half of me recently discovered you can put Blu-Ray discs on a server and stream them across a network. Somehow it never occurred to her those tens of thousands of video files stored on our iTunes Server v7 are just the proprietary Mac version of what TrueNAS v2 will be: an open-source version of the same. When I showed her how you could access those same files anywhere Starlink or 4G/5G are available using nothing more than a 2000Wh portable power station and a laptop.

Throw out the idea that v2 will be a 100TB server. We are going to need more. A lot more.

-Antonin

jgreco

Resident Grinch
tens of thousands of video files stored on our iTunes Server v7 are just the proprietary Mac version of what TrueNAS v2 will be: an open-source version of the same.

The main problem here is that if you downloaded video files from iTunes, they are already compressed and optimized to be maybe 1/10th the size of a Blu-Ray mkv file.

If you do not do any transcoding or compression of your images, then you might need to allow for about 25-50GB per Blu-Ray. This makes an outsized impact on storage requirements. You previously mentioned transcoding on a workstation though, so I'm guessing you are aware.

With current disk sizes, you can easily put 300 TB into 4U,

Oh, easily. The SC847 will hold 36 HDD; a dozen 20TB HDD's in a RAIDZ3 vdev is 180TB, so 540TB pool space (or about 400TB usable) is available to any goober capable of putting a mainboard into an SC847 and hooking up an HBA to the backplanes. Course you gotta have a cool place to run the thing.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Course you gotta have a cool place to run the thing.
Conveniently, my server's in an air-conditioned room about 75' from my house, so...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Located at...?

5 Babylon St,
Vorlon, GA 2281?

Just in case anyone wants to pay a visit to walk off with your conveniently out-of-sight NAS? :smile:

AntoninKyrene

Dabbler
Our current iTunes Server includes a combination of iTunes content from Apple and a huge library of standard definition media compressed via x264 and high definition media compressed via x265. Most of that content is classified as 'second generation' as it was transcoded from time-shifted material from celestial sources or original VHS and Beta recordings.

What we are now considering is ingesting the optical disc, vinyl disc and tape collections. A majority of that content remains in its original format. Our current calculation is 9GB for DVD and 50GB for Blu-Ray, with an undetermined number for LaserDisc. What we did transcode was done in a quick-and-dirty using HandBrake. The audio collections are insignificant in comparison, even if the PCM format chosen is bitrate ridiculous.

Cooling is not an issue. The rack will reside in a closet with a dedicated A/C and duct system.

Security is not an issue, either. It's reinforced to survive nuclear near-misses, long periods disconnected from the grid, and local thieves stupid enough to try and enter my residence (I have a reputation for the practice of 'castle doctrine' and the necessary tools for enforcement, and most of my neighbors are hard-core federalists who think our former president is a prophet - the MAGA guy, not the ACA guy.). LOL!

Darth Vader going medieval over some lost technical plans is nothing in comparison.