New TrueNAS Scale build - would appreciate critique/advice

Friikazoid

Cadet
Hello everyone!

I've been working on getting better educated on TrueNAS SCALE and suitable hardware and have finally arrived at a plan. Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to get some community feedback, critique and advice on that plan. If you read this post and see something glaring out that you that I may have missed, I'll really appreciate if you let me know!

Thank you!!

Purpose of build:
  • Starting out, the machine will serve as a Plex server and as a family file-server
  • As I become more familiar with the software available / virtualization / etc. I will likely grow the use cases
  • The goal of my build is to use hardware, which allows me to expand use cases as I learn, with simple hardware addons (add-in card, SAS controller, extra RAM, etc.)

Proposed build:

Motherboard:
SUPERMICRO MBD-X12SPA-TF-O Extended ATX Server Motherboard LGA 4189 Intel C621A
  • Ice Lake server socket (to let me use either Xeon Silver brand new, or some platinum CPUs used from eBay)
  • 16 DDR4 RAM slots --> plenty of space to increase RAM over time as needs grow for ARC. DDR4 RAM as DDR5 is still super expensive and hard to get
  • 4 M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 slots --> SSD for boot + 2 slots for Optane SLOG (mirrored) + 1 spare for future needs (L2ARC)
  • 64L of PCIe - plenty for a dual slot GPU + networking card + SAS controllers (when they become necessary)
  • 8 SATA3 slots for starting out with storage without immediate need for SAS controller
CPU:
Option 1:
Used Ice Lake Xeon Platinum 8352Y 32C/64T
  • PRO:
    • Super high core count for any future VM needs
    • Latest available generation (Sapphire will be stupid expensive for a while)
  • CON:
    • Risk of used CPU (though I know Xeons are built to last)
    • Lower frequency (2.2GHz base, 3.4GHz turbo, does have speed step with 24 and 16 cores active)
Option 2: New Ice Lake Xeon Silver 4314 16C/32T
  • PRO:
    • Higher base frequency, lower power at max frequency
    • New
  • CON:
    • Half-core count - lower potential for VMs, but 16C is still plenty

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-US14 DX-4189

I am leaning towards the peace of mind of option 2 (also 350 bucks cheaper)

RAM: 128GB (2x64GB) DDR4-3200 ECC LRDIMM
  • Highest frequency RAM Ice Lake can handle. With16 slots, could go up to 1TB of RAM
  • Was thinking about a single 128GB stick, but would rather have 2 sticks starting out in case one fails.
  • If I start needing to grow faster, I'll swap to 128GB sticks

M.2:
Boot SSD:
Will find a decent 256GB SSD
SLOG: 2x Intel Optane 905P U.2 (with converter to M.2) mirrored for backup
+1 spare for later on (L2ARC)

Graphics Card: RTX3050 8GB
  • Initially used mainly for Plex hardware transcode. I know it's limited to 3 simultaneous transcodes (should be sufficient starting out)
  • Will replace with a workstation graphics cards with unlimited transcodes when necessary (thinking an RTX A2000 12GB)
HDD: 6x Seagate IronWold PRO 18TB NAS HDD in RaidZ2
  • All 6 drives in single vdev RaidZ2
  • If I need to expand the zpool in the future, I'll always add a new vdev of 6 drives (18TB) in RaidZ2
(In the future) SAS controller: LSI 9300-16i 12Gbps PCIe 3 8x
  • Flashed by theartofserver (seller) to IT mode
  • Will provide all the connections needed that could fit into my case

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL
  • Space for up to 18 3.5" HDDs (so should be good up to 3 vdevs of 6HDDs RaidZ2 each in pool)
  • Supports E-ATX
  • I was looking at used JBOD chassis (like the this used Supermicro) but it seems like i) it's too overkill at this point ii) only allows for half-size expansion cards (so makes GPUs / etc. more challenging to find) and iii) don't really have any space to put it at this time
  • Eventually I could migrate to a JBOD chassis when my need grows for it
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P6 1000W PSU

Like I said - I'll appreciate any thoughts and again THANK YOU!!!

danb35

Hall of Famer

ChrisRJ

Wizard
HDD: 6x Seagate IronWold PRO 18TB NAS HDD in RaidZ2
  • All 6 drives in single vdev RaidZ2
  • If I need to expand the zpool in the future, I'll always add a new vdev of 6 drives (18TB) in RaidZ2
I would probably go for 2* RAIDZ2 with 8 drives each. This will give more or less the same net capacity but save 2 drives. Yes, you get fewer IOPS, but if they are a concern the 3* RAIDZ2 is also far from ideal.

The Seagate Exos drives are often cheaper than then Iron Wolf (Pro), so I would check them out as well.

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL
  • Space for up to 18 3.5" HDDs (so should be good up to 3 vdevs of 6HDDs RaidZ2 each in pool)
You need to be careful with cooling for such a number of drives. They will be densely packed, so fans with high pressure are in order. Those tend to be (very) loud.

Friikazoid

Cadet
Unnecessary for your stated use case

I figured :). I threw those in just because I can get them ridiculously cheap through my company and figured "they might not be around for much longer" based on the decisions Intel is making.

Friikazoid

Cadet
I would probably go for 2* RAIDZ2 with 8 drives each. This will give more or less the same net capacity but save 2 drives. Yes, you get fewer IOPS, but if they are a concern the 3* RAIDZ2 is also far from ideal.
I think IOPS in the early stages shouldn't be a key concern. If I may ask - what would you recommend as a solution for IOPS in terms of vdevs configs? I was just thinking I'd go with 6, then add 6 for smaller incremental chunks , then add 6 more and probably decide to get a new case/chassis at that point anyway if I know myself :)
The Seagate Exos drives are often cheaper than then Iron Wolf (Pro), so I would check them out as well.
Great, I'll check them out!
You need to be careful with cooling for such a number of drives. They will be densely packed, so fans with high pressure are in order. Those tend to be (very) loud.
Good point! I think by the time I'd be going for the jump from 12 to 18 (or I'll see now if it will be from 16 to 24 if I do the 8 drive configuration) I'll start looking for a used chase with 24+ bays and a little more ideal airflow.

Unless ... do you have any recommendations? Everything I seem to find is 36 bays with 12 in the back, leading to half-height expansion cards needed.

Etorix

Wizard
Hoarding Optane drives "while supplies last" is indeed tempting. But it remains that you have no use case for it yet. And your build is massive overkill for a home NAS—starting with the 3rd gen. Xeon Scalable and the expensive workstation motherboard.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
what would you recommend as a solution for IOPS in terms of vdevs configs?
Mirrors.

But without at least somewhat specific requirements it is a bit of a philosophical discussion. You can always go faster, bigger, etc. The questions is whether you need it and what you are willing to pay.