New to TrueNAS, slow write speeds

calamity1911

Cadet
Hi everyone, first post here.
On Black Friday, I was able to get an external USB3 hard drive on sale and I figured I should set it up as a NAS. I also got a "hand-me-down" spare laptop which should be more than powerful enough to run TrueNAS. It has an i3 6006U and 12GB of RAM. I am running TrueNAS-12.0-U6.1

I currently have TrueNAS installed to a spare 120GB internal SSD I had laying around, which I did install inside of the laptop and am not using any funky adapters. The external drive I got was a 4TB WD External drive, a MyBook iirc.

I tested the bandwidth to the drive with it connected directly to the laptop before I installed TrueNAS and I was able to get around 150MB/s read and writes to it. However, when I installed TrueNAS, now I only get 30MB/s writes and 80MB/s reads. I'm fine with the read speed, but the write speed seems unusually low. Sometimes, the performance also drops to 20MB/s as well.

I should also add that the built-in ethernet port on the laptop is only 100Mbit, but I have a spare USB3 gigabit ethernet adapter which I verified is actually running at gigabit speeds, along with the client PC which is my desktop.

I have it set up with two primary NAS shares, one for me and my roomate. Each have a quota of around 1.5TB to leave some room for plugins, since the formatted capacity of the drive is around 3.5TB. In terms of plugins, I am only running MineOS to host a minecraft server, but even with stopping the jail and plugin, I'm still getting those low write speeds. Both shares are also Samba, as all of the PCs in the house are Windows.

Right now, I'm thinking I should reinstall TrueNAS and run it off of a USB drive so that I can use the 120GB SSD as a cache. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to increase the write performance?

sretalla