New to NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent54

Dabbler
This is my first NAS build. I'm using components that I currently have on hand. I want to use a EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 MB, OCZ 2GB PC2 6400 (probably will need more), Core 2 Duo E6750, have a case but may get another one, 8GB USB drive for FreeNAS. Haven't worked out what size PSU I'll need but I don't think my NAS build will take me past 6 - 8 SATA drives, with above components and 1 low power vid card. Also, looking at what drives to go with. I'll need at least around 6TB of drive space in a RAID 5 (so possibly 4 x 2TB drives to start). Now my questions are considering the MB I currently have can support up to 6 SATA II drives and up to RAID 5, will I need to get a RAID card or will the on board RAID controller be reliable enough for the NAS? I ask this because while trolling, I've seen some builders use cards instead of their MB's RAID controllers. Also, can any hard drive be used in this configuration. I know there are some drives that state they are unreliable in RAID, where others state they are only good for certain RAID configurations. In my primary PC I have 2 x 500GB Seagate ST3500418AS drives and if I remember correctly Seagate docs state they are only rated for up to RAID 1. Thanks for any recommendations.

Mitch

Cadet
)Now my questions are considering the MB I currently have can support up to 6 SATA II drives and up to RAID 5, will I need to get a RAID card or will the on board RAID controller be reliable enough for the NAS?
If you want to use FreeNAS as NAS, and use ZFS (RAIDZ) as filesystem, you don't need RAID card. Because is your CPU used to do RAID, it's called Software RAID.

You don't need RAID card if you use the motherboard RAID (hardware RAID)

Considering that if you use hardware RAID and your motherboard die, you can't restore your data because the data was in the RAID memory on the motherboard. On software RAID, you change your motherboard and plug your disk and voila !

Silent54

Dabbler
If you want to use FreeNAS as NAS, and use ZFS (RAIDZ) as filesystem, you don't need RAID card. Because is your CPU used to do RAID, it's called Software RAID.

You don't need RAID card if you use the motherboard RAID (hardware RAID)

Considering that if you use hardware RAID and your motherboard die, you can't restore your data because the data was in the RAID memory on the motherboard. On software RAID, you change your motherboard and plug your disk and voila !
Yea, I wasn't thinking when I posted that part. FreeNAS will be setting up the RAID, not my MB. I knew this but blanked when typing. This does bring up a question. If I'm using a USB drive for the install, I assume FreeNAS installs to that same USB drive, which would be dedicated now and needs to stay in the system?

toddos

Contributor
Yea, I wasn't thinking when I posted that part. FreeNAS will be setting up the RAID, not my MB. I knew this but blanked when typing. This does bring up a question. If I'm using a USB drive for the install, I assume FreeNAS installs to that same USB drive, which would be dedicated now and needs to stay in the system?

If you use a USB for the "install", there is no install. It's already a running system. If you use the CD, you pick where you want it to install, which can (and probably should) be a USB stick or can also be a hard drive that you don't intend to use for anything else (you should probably not do this). I'd recommend skipping the CD step and create the USB drive directly from a client OS.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Once you've created the boot USB either directly or through an install CD, you do need to "dedicate" it to the system, as logs and the config for booting are stored there. A USB or SATA DOM is another option, but if you don't have that on hand it's an additional expense (those are internal to a system and more suitable for a CD install).

Silent54

Dabbler
Ok, That makes since now. Question about drives. I'm looking at using 2 TB drives but not sure what would work in a RAID 5 type environment without looking at enterprise drive like the WD R4. I read in some posts that some said they were using WD green 2TB drive but WD states they are only recommended for a RAID 0 or RAID 1 environment. Some Seagate drives docs say the same thing. I was also looking at WD Red drives which seemed to work in a RAID 5 + environment but they are not cheap. Any recommendations?

Stephens

Patron
A lot of folks are using the Samsung HD204UI, though they were mostly high-rated when Samsung existed (before Seagate bought them). Folks are also looking at WD Red drives that are marketed for NAS usage. They're still fairly new, but I can't see them being anything but better than current WD Green drives. The knock on WD green drives is WD disabled the ability to manage TLER and the power saving features might cause unintended power downs, which can ramp up the power cycle count pretty quickly. Power cycles are a factor in shortening drive life expectancy.

I have a WD green in one of my systems because I'm curious to see if it goes out before the HD204UI's. It'll be ancedotal evidence, but I'm still curious.

Silent54

Dabbler
Thanks for the info. I've decided to go with the WD Reds. They seem to have quite a few good reviews dealing with NAS storage and and RAIDS.

Still have questions. I'm trying to get the most out of the box as I may have other requirements for it as I go along. I was also considering putting a flavor of windows on it and run FreeNAS in virtual on VMware workstation; however, i've seen a few posts saying that this could be trouble. I also see there's an option for VMware ESXi. I've used this in a class environment but not on one of my PCs and can see this being a headache trying to remember this stuff. I believe my system once up will meet the system requirements for ESXi. Just trying to leave my option open for using this box for more than storage.

Stephens

Patron
What's the question?

I personally have decided to let my NAS be a NAS, but if you have specific questions, there are people here doing all kinds of things, so there's probably help/support if you can get their attention. The key will be in describing your goals and setup in detail so people can answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.