New to NAS - Feedback Requested

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Cool, so I just need a SATA controller for a singular drive... would something like Newegg link or Amazon Link work, as the RED Plus are SATA not SAS, as long as I avoid a card with a built in raid controller? Sorry for the barrage

Please consider reading

which discusses the perils of cheap PC SATA controllers. The two you mention appear to be based on the Asmedia ASM1061 which my recollection says "may" be fine. Strongly recommend you do not try to go beyond two ports. There is no guarantee that you won't get a clone knockoff card that has a crappy version of the chip, and, who knows, my recollection of the 1061 may be off as well. Don't expect to be able to boot from it.

Sire_Salty

Dabbler
Please consider reading

which discusses the perils of cheap PC SATA controllers. The two you mention appear to be based on the Asmedia ASM1061 which my recollection says "may" be fine. Strongly recommend you do not try to go beyond two ports. There is no guarantee that you won't get a clone knockoff card that has a crappy version of the chip, and, who knows, my recollection of the 1061 may be off as well. Don't expect to be able to boot from it.
Thanks, I decided to avoid the whole shabang by switching from a 7 (4tb) drive raid-z2 to a 6 (6tb) drive raid-z2 and which will stay within the intel chipsets included 6 SATA slots.

Sire_Salty

Dabbler
Thanks all for the help on this. Here is my updated build (PCPartPicker). FYI, planning to boot off a NVME drive @jgreco, should have no issues there. Now to wait to slowly acquire the Drives and the Zen refresh to come out to move this all into a NAS.

Sire_Salty

Dabbler
Drives acquired (BF deals on 6TB WD Red Plus, splitting purchase across 3 retailers to avoid same batch), so slowly going to be using HD tune to do block level verification of functionality...

I also decided to place this device alongside my gaming tower, use the network adapter on the gaming rig to share the AX wifi adapter with the NAS using windows built in internet sharing feature via the wired ethernet connection. Should work well.

Now to wait for Zen 3D to come out to switch the CPU and Mobo to the NAS case.