New to NAS - Feedback Requested

Sire_Salty

Dabbler
Hello! I'm getting into a local NAS for storing/securing a variety of data and would like some feedback on my supposed setup.

This is not going to be much outside of data storage... maybe in the future use for random plex, but at the moment it will be online when data is needed (looking at doing Wake-on-Lan) for most usage, with periodic automatic runtime just to maintain the raid automatically. This is using primarily old parts from a desktop in addition to a set of new drives.

Looking at getting 7 x 4TB WD Red Plus (I don't care about shucking), and doing a Raid-Z2 with 2 drives of failure (20 TB is more than enough for likely over a decade of data needs, only have 5-7 TB currently).

Link to PCPartPicker for owned computer parts

Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB
Case: Thermaltake A90 Armor
Corsair TX 650 W
Will either have AC/AX wifi or powerline LAN.... speed is of little concern

Parts to acquire:
8 x 4TB WD Red Plus drives (7 for the config and 1 backup in case of a failure).
1 SATA controller card (dunno which one to look at), as the motherboard has 6 SATA 6GB slots, and I need 1 more).

Any advice or feedback on my supposed setup would be fantastic and appreciated.

Thanks,
Salty

Edit: After many helpful suggestions, I am going to switch my Raid configuration to 6 x 6 TB to avoid requiring additional ports and use my Intel onboard SATA controller in conjuction with TrueNas for a Raid-Z2 for 24 TB of space. Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited:
You will likely have problems with the onboard SATA controller.

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 3.33.41 PM.png

Read the following.

Will either have AC/AX wifi

TrueNAS does not support Wifi adapters

Sire_Salty

Dabbler
Out of curiosity, whats wrong with the onboard, as with ZFS we are ignoring the built in Raid capability?

I just was reading about wifi, I guess I'll invest 20-50 bucks in a client based WAP

Read the link I posted. Be prepared to buy a separate HBA controller.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
TrueNAS does not support Wifi adapters

More like very poorly supports Wi-Fi adapters. There are a few Wi-Fi drivers packaged in /boot/kernel, which require loader tunables to activate:
  • if_rsu.ko - Realtek RTL8188SU/RTL8192SU USB IEEE 802.11b/g/n wireless network device
  • if_rum.ko - Ralink Technology USB IEEE 802.11a/b/g wireless network device
  • if_run.ko - Ralink Technology USB IEEE 802.11a/g/n wireless network device
  • if_uath.ko - Atheros USB IEEE 802.11a/b/g wireless network device
  • if_upgt.ko - Conexant/Intersil PrismGT SoftMAC USB IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network device
  • if_urtw.ko - Realtek RTL8187B/L USB IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network device
  • if_zyd.ko - ZyDAS ZD1211/ZD1211B USB IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network device
For all of these, set a tunable if_<driver name minus .ko>_load="YES" and reboot. I don't know why these are packaged with TrueNAS, and I can't say if they'll work in AP mode. If you want to experiment, feel free, but don't expect these to provide reliable service.

Sire_Salty

Dabbler
Hrm, I have this mobo currently on my primary rig (going to likely upgrade to Zen 3D or Zen 4 then use this for the raid). I wonder if I check if its using HBA mode within windows... as everything seems to be working well individually.

Samuel Tai

Out of curiosity, whats wrong with the onboard, as with ZFS we are ignoring the built in Raid capability?

From what I can gather, the Z370 has the Intel RST SoftRAID controller. This is similar to the controller on my TrueNAS server. Just set all the SATA ports to AHCI mode, and you'll be able to use the on board ports without problems.

Sire_Salty

Dabbler
More like very poorly supports Wi-Fi adapters. There are a few Wi-Fi drivers packaged in /boot/kernel, which require loader tunables to activate:
  • if_rsu.ko - Realtek RTL8188SU/RTL8192SU USB IEEE 802.11b/g/n wireless network device
  • if_rum.ko - Ralink Technology USB IEEE 802.11a/b/g wireless network device
  • if_run.ko - Ralink Technology USB IEEE 802.11a/g/n wireless network device
  • if_uath.ko - Atheros USB IEEE 802.11a/b/g wireless network device
  • if_upgt.ko - Conexant/Intersil PrismGT SoftMAC USB IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network device
  • if_urtw.ko - Realtek RTL8187B/L USB IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network device
  • if_zyd.ko - ZyDAS ZD1211/ZD1211B USB IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network device
For all of these, set a tunable if_<driver name minus .ko>_load="YES" and reboot. I don't know why these are packaged with TrueNAS, and I can't say if they'll work in AP mode. If you want to experiment, feel free, but don't expect these to provide reliable service.
Yeah, I didn't realize till just after I posted. I'll just budget for a WAP

Sire_Salty

Dabbler
From what I can gather, the Z370 has the Intel RST SoftRAID controller. This is similar to the controller on my TrueNAS server. Just set all the SATA ports to AHCI mode, and you'll be able to use the on board ports without problems.
Appreciated. My system is setup in AHCI within windows, any way to check out exactly what's running? I'm trying to look through Adia64 right now.

Samuel Tai

The mode is set from the BIOS.

Sire_Salty

Dabbler
The mode is set from the BIOS.
Yeah I know its set to AHCI, I make sure of that every time I setup a computer (stupid not to have it set that way unless using an old OS). I was wondering about these smartctl results in the article that was referenced by Elvis, as honestly, I am not familar with this level of raid setting intricacy

Samuel Tai

The article @elvisimprsntr linked to is for hardware RAID controllers, like the old Adaptecs.

Samuel Tai

No, don't use those, as those don't work well. They typically multiplex multiple physical ports through a single controller port, which works OK for Windows, but blows up spectacularly in TrueNAS, which expects direct access to all the physical ports. Your onboard ports should be sufficient.

Sire_Salty

Dabbler
No, don't use those, as those don't work well. They typically multiplex multiple physical ports through a single controller port, which works OK for Windows, but blows up spectacularly in TrueNAS, which expects direct access to all the physical ports. Your onboard ports should be sufficient.
I need 1 more port lol.

Samuel Tai

Samuel Tai

You can find them on eBay from Art of Server for a little under $200.

Sire_Salty

Dabbler
Thanks. Maybe I should do a 1 drive redundant array to keep it within the intel onboard controller, I'll have a spare drive onhand at all times... I'm just afraid of concatenating failures before the replacement drive fully populates.

Sire_Salty

Dabbler
Well, I decided to do 6 x 6TB drives vs 7 x 4TB drives. More expensive overall... but it does afford me 24 TB total vs 20 TB. Thanks for the advice, I was able to sneak a cancellation into newegg on the 4TBs I just ordered @Samuel Tai