NEW TO NAS BUILDING NEED A LITTLE HELP

codynorman

Cadet
I am building a NAS for my business I have a few questions First think is I am going to post a parts list of what im looking at using. I would like to know if I need to change anything.

2nd I am wanting to know what Raid I should use to insure my files are kept save I do backups on extra drive as well along side my normal backups just incase I cant afford to lose everything. so I want to be a safe as possible

PARTS LIST:
CASE Fractal Design Define 7 XL
ASRock B450M PRO4 AM4 AMD Promontory B450 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2
AMD RYZEN 5 3400G 4-Core 3.7 GHz
500 Watt Power supply

Have not decided on drives yet sense im still figuring out what raid to use.

GrahamA

Cadet
If you're getting a big case like the Define 7 XL for your build, I'd suggest going for a full ATX or even EATX board to give you more expansion options. That board only has 4 sata, which might be fine for you; but might you want to expand further in the future?

I think the first question you want to ask with a NAS build is "How much storage will I need?" then tailor the options around that. Put a few numbers into the ZFS Capacity Calculator and see what you get out.

Good luck!

Redcoat

MVP
Take a lock at a couple of pieces from the Resource section here:

https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/ - download the guide with the orange button - top RHS
https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/introduction-to-zfs.111/
https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/introduction-to-zfs.111/- again, download with the orange button. Read through at least to the section on RaidZn levels

In general, gaming motherboards aren't favored for server duty - they have features that aren't required or useful for server duty (audio for example) and often use Realtek NICS (as does the one you listed) which are proven bad performers for FreeNAS. Intel-based systems are strongly preferred over AMD here because of their track record.

Come back and ask questions, you'll get lots of advice if you've done some homework.

And welcome to the forums!!

G8One2

Patron
Id recommend a supermicro board and chassis

ThreeDee

Guru
if this is for a business ..
Ditch the desktop motherboard for maybe an Asrock Rack X470D4U if you want to go AMD route. Doesn't require a video card or APU. Has Intel NIC's. IPMI. Still Micro ATX Form Factor.
Ditch the Corsair non-ECC memory for some ECC UDIMM's
Ditch the 3400g APU that doesn't "support" ECC RAM for a Ryzen 5 3600 .. or a Ryzen 7 3700x that will work with ECC UDIMM's .. or get a Ryzen Pro CPU.

the PCIe 4.0 Sabrent 1TB drive would be wasted on anything not X570 .. so possibly go for a cheaper PCIe 3.0 M.2 drive

Power supply should be of high quality .. 80+ Gold or better rating.. maybe even a redundant ATX PSU like this