New to FreeNas - Software RAID with Asus P6H67-M PRO and and adding more HDD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm building my first NAS off the MoBo stated in the title.
Now, I've been told to use the Software RAID that FreeNAS offers, instead of wasting money on a RAID controller. Mostly because the build is only supposed to be used for light home use.

I plan to use 4 SATA-2.0 1Tb HDD's and 1 CF Card (In a CF to IDE adapter - As I understand ATA-133 is an IDE interface).

1) When I want to expand my system, I've read that you can take out one HDD and put in a larger one (As I'll be using the ZFS equivalent of RAID5), and when the filesystem is rebuild, I just copy the same procedure. I do this till I've traded all my 1Tb drives for larger ones. This is possible right?

2) Now, I'm also aware that the MoBo have 2 SATA-3.0 Ports that I won't be using in the above setup. Let's say that I want to expand to 6 disks + CF Adapter. Can I add 2 more disks to the system, without having to redo a lot of stuff?

3) I'd also like to know, If I have 4 disks, in ZFS equivalant of RAID5, but only use what equals 2 disks, can I then change the system to ZFS equivalent of RAID6 WITHOUT having to loose the content of the 2 disks?

4) When I want to expand to more disks, with ZFS it is possible to just "add" the new disks? I know this isn't possible in normal RAID as you'd have to rebuild the whole system? But I'm told you can always increase the size of ZFS, but not decrease.

There's proberly some more questions, but I hope you can atleast help me with the above?

Status
Not open for further replies.