BUILD New to FreeNAS Small Home Media/Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartiewdw

Cadet
Greetings, I'd like to first and foremost thank the community here for building an excellent site full of information that I've been trying hard to rapidly absorb.

Goal:
I'm building a NAS because:
  • I've so frequently wanted to be able to combine my music library with my girlfriend's and subsequently be able to stream it.
  • I want to backup my important school files, movies, and pictures without having to burn DVDs
  • I want to be able to access my data from anywhere
  • I'd like to have a media server that can stream video/music to my DLNA devices
  • I like having projects
It's my understanding through all of this that using freeNAS paired with VPN will be a good solution for this (Please note that I'm avoiding something like dropbox because of points 1 and 4). I currently am less worried about the expandable size of the case. I do care about sound though so while I know fans are necessary I want to use good fans that will keep the volume down.

Since I'm somewhat on a budget as well as admittedly somewhat impatient I've put together the following list, I'd like feedback if you could be so kind so I can know if I'm just out in the middle of no where or if I'm at least on the right track

CPU: i5 4430
Mobo: Asus 85M-E(Corporate Stable Model)
PSU: Thermaltake 430 PSU
RAM: DDR3 2x4GB 1600 Non-ECC Patriot
HDs: 3X2TB WD Red (Plan to setup as Raidz1)
Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E
USB: 3x USB3 8GB drives (undetermined) for OS/Backup/Upgrade

End note: The price on this comes to around $750 so if there are swap outs that you'd recommend I'd appreciate input if it's possible to remain in that ballpark. I know that I'm missing out on error correction RAM, since this is going to be small and isn't legal backup data I wonder if anyone has a strong opinion that I would need error correction at this time. Again I appreciate very much the time anyone takes to give their input and hopefully this build idea will give someone else entering this sphere something to go on. I will now continue my readings.

MtK

Patron
Welcome!
I'm no expert around here but I guess a common suggestion would be to read the stickies in the forum and probably get at least 3 drives for redundancy.

Smartiewdw

Cadet
Welcome!
I'm no expert around here but I guess a common suggestion would be to read the stickies in the forum and probably get at least 3 drives for redundancy.
Thank you for your response and so quickly!

I've been reading the stickies and appreciate very much what I've read/learned thus far. The main reason why I didn't go for the 2n+1 is because in reading the FreeNAS guide so graciously provided by Cyberjock it was indicated that if I didn't plan to transfer large quantities of data constantly that the rule could be disregarded. However, since you brought it up I will reconsider it as a need.

MtK

Patron
Thank you for your response and so quickly!

I've been reading the stickies and appreciate very much what I've read/learned thus far. The main reason why I didn't go for the 2n+1 is because in reading the FreeNAS guide so graciously provided by Cyberjock it was indicated that if I didn't plan to transfer large quantities of data constantly that the rule could be disregarded. However, since you brought it up I will reconsider it as a need.
That might be true for IOPs, but what would you do if a disk fails? And what if 2...?
You're data might be lost.

Smartiewdw

Cadet
That might be true for IOPs, but what would you do if a disk fails? And what of 2...?
Exactly why you caused me to reconsider :) One of the things I'm hoping to do is convince my girlfriend that this will be a safe place for her to store her data so she'll stop making CD's of photos so having the redundancy of the parity drive makes a lot of sense and thus is back in to the mix. I will edit my OP.

MtK

Patron
consider redundancy a way of not loosing data (and be able to continue working) while you get the failed drive fixed.

sorry, but redundancy is no replacement for backups!

Smartiewdw

Cadet
Perhaps I should've been more clear, the redundancy factor makes for a stronger argument of the backup. That is to say "I'd like you to start using this as a backup option and by the way this backup option has more redundancy than what you're currently doing." Should she choose to back up still another way that's on her.

MtK

Patron
Perhaps I should've been more clear, the redundancy factor makes for a stronger argument of the backup. That is to say "I'd like you to start using this as a backup option and by the way this backup option has more redundancy than what you're currently doing." Should she choose to back up still another way that's on her.

yes, if this box is actually your backups storage, then it should be fine. backing up to CDs or other media is not a bad idea anyway...

Sir.Robin

Guru
NAS01 (raidz2) replicates to NAS02 (raidz2/offsite) . I also rsync to a Synology box with mirror.
When the shit hits the fan... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.