New Source Repo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paleoN

Wizard
I noticed the main source code repository moved from SourceForge if I'm not mistaken. I missed where it moved to though. Anyone know offhand?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
I know, this is a very old topic but just in case someone search for this in the future: freenas repo is still in sourceforge, however the url has changed due to sourceforge new admin interface.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've noticed the repository has had some significant changes and now we need a username/password to access a lot of the file areas, specifically I'm looking at the /stable/8.3 area that I do not have access to. Is there some generic user name and password for read access only?

Also, what is up with the hexadecimal numbering scheme for the changes? They seem so random. And when you click on Browse Source, it only looks like the Alpha code is available.

paleoN

Wizard

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thanks, I'll have to see how to use this to grab all the code so I can compile it. Right now I'm using "svn co http://svn.code.sf.net/p/freenas/code/branches/8.3" and tried to use "svn co http://svn.code.sf.net/p/freenas/code/stable/8.3".

paleoN

Wizard
Thanks, I'll have to see how to use this to grab all the code so I can compile it. Right now I'm using "svn co http://svn.code.sf.net/p/freenas/code/branches/8.3" and tried to use "svn co http://svn.code.sf.net/p/freenas/code/stable/8.3".
Sourceforge doesn't appear to have been updated recently. You can try the new method, which requires git and substituting in stable/8.3 branch. Actually, I'm not sure how you specify a branch. Perhaps, William can comment.

joeschmuck

Old Man
That link is exactly what I needed! Thanks a lot. I just finished building git, it's not a simple pkg_add unfortunately so I'm sure I added more than I needed but as long as it works I'll be happy.

I'm not sure I'm going to establish a git mirror, I use to have a CVS mirror but CVS is almost dead now.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Nope, can't seem to figure it out. I have navigated to various sections of the code to see path information and nothing works properly. I have tried the following and all I get in return is "fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git"

What I've tried:
Code:
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas # git checkout git://github.com/freenas/freenas/tree/stable/8.3
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas # git checkout git://github.com/freenas/freenas/tree/stable/8.3/freenas.git
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas # git checkout git://github.com/freenas/freenas/blob/stable/8.3
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas # git checkout git://github.com/freenas/stable/8.3
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas # git checkout git://github.com/freenas/stable/8.3

and I have tried this as well, actually it was my first attempts. I downloaded a local copy of the ports and TrueOS per paleoN's instructions in a link provided and here are my attempts to obtain the source files.
Code:
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas # git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/freenas/freenas/blob/stable/8.3
Cloning into '8.3'...
fatal: remote error:
  freenas/freenas/blob/stable/8.3 is not a valid repository name
  Email support@github.com for help
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas # git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/freenas/freenas/tree/stable/8.3
Cloning into '8.3'...
  freenas/freenas/tree/stable/8.3 is not a valid repository name
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas # git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/freenas/freenas/stable/8.3
Cloning into '8.3'...
  freenas/freenas/stable/8.3 is not a valid repository name
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas # git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/freenas/stable/8.3
Cloning into '8.3'...
  freenas/stable/8.3 is not a valid repository name
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas # git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/freenas/stable/8.3/freenas.git
Cloning into 'freenas'...
  freenas/stable/8.3/freenas.git is not a valid repository name
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas # git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/freenas/freenas/stable/8.3/freenas.git
  freenas/freenas/stable/8.3/freenas.git is not a valid repository name
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas # git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/freenas/blob/stable/8.3/freenas.git
  freenas/blob/stable/8.3/freenas.git is not a valid repository name
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas # git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/freenas/blob/stable/8.3/freenas.git
  freenas/blob/stable/8.3/freenas.git is not a valid repository name

Now I was able to download the source files in a ZIP format and then SFTP them into the VM FreeBSD server where they belong and then I was hoping to run the build script, boy was I wrong...

Code:
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas/freenas # sh build/do_build.sh
do_build.sh: ERROR: No sup host defined, please define FREEBSD_CVSUP_HOST and rerun

root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas/freenas # sudo env GIT_REPO=${HOME}/trueos GIT_PORTS_REPO=${HOME}/ports sh build/do_build.sh
do_build.sh: ERROR: No sup host defined, please define FREEBSD_CVSUP_HOST and rerun

The FreeBSD_CVSUP_HOST is an easy fix but the fatal errors above it need to be fixed first.

So building FreeNAS using the GIT repository is really not working for me.

What did work? Well the Alpha project will download fine
Code:
root@FreeNAS-Dev:/usr/local/freenas # git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/freenas/freenas.git
remote: Counting objects: 2485, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (1290/1290), done.
remote: Total 2485 (delta 1226), reused 1988 (delta 1035)
Receiving objects: 100% (2485/2485), 3.68 MiB | 1.48 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (1226/1226), done.

And the build works fine as well using "sudo env GIT_REPO=${HOME}/trueos GIT_PORTS_REPO=${HOME}/ports sh build/do_build.sh".

So I'm lost as how to grab a branch.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Git is very different from svn in that way. You have the whole repo in the same place, you can just switch branches...

# git clone --depth 1 -b stable/8.3 git://github.com/freenas/freenas.git freenas

Will get you just the branch stable/8.3
If you want the full copy:

# git clone git://github.com/freenas/freenas.git freenas

Then checkout stable/8.3:

# cd freenas
# git checkout origin/stable/8.3

Get back to master (trunk):

# git checkout origin/master

ProtoSD

MVP
I just ran into one of those probably rare situations where a part of the repo was offline (ports) and the build wouldn't start (ticket https://support.freenas.org/ticket/2179).

I figured out you can tell the build script not to use Git by changing the following line in do_build.sh to "no" instead of "yes":

Code:
: ${USE_GIT="no"}

Damn Murphy! :mad:

ProtoSD

MVP
Here's another tip that should be included in the README, for those of you who get something like this during the installworld phase of a build:
01:08:54 ## installworld
01:08:54 ### log: /9.1_Workspace/freenas/os-base/amd64/_.iw
do_build.sh: ERROR: FreeNAS /9.1_Workspace/freenas/nanobsd/os-base build FAILED; please check above log for more details

The log says:
ERROR: Required auditdistd user is missing, see /usr/src/UPDATING.
*** [installcheck_UGID] Error code 1
1 error
*** [installworld] Error code 2
1 error

This will solve the problem:

Code:
pw useradd -n auditdistd -g audit -c "Auditdistd unprivileged user" -d /var/empty -s /usr/sbin/nologin

And discussion about that here:

http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=36454

wharf

Cadet
I'm having trouble building the stable/8.3 branch from the new git repo using FreeBSD 8.3. I'm running the following commands as root:
Code:
cd /usr/local/
pkg_add -r git
pkg_add -r subversion
pkg_add -r cdrtools
pkg_add -r pbi-manager
pkg_add -r python27
git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/freenas/freenas.git
cd freenas
git checkout stable/8.3
export FREEBSD_CVSUP_HOST=cvsup10.freebsd.org
sh build/do_build.sh

After checking out the FreeBSD tree, I get the following error:
sourcing /usr/local/freenas/nanobsd/os-base
do_build.sh: ERROR: FreeNAS /usr/local/freenas/nanobsd/os-base build FAILED; please check above log for more details

If I run do_build.sh again, that is the entirety of the output, and I am unable to find any log files created by the build. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

wharf

Cadet
Thanks! I ran sh -x build/do_build.sh -x, and that was erroring out in the svn hash lookup code. I don't understand what went wrong exactly, but since there's no svn analog to the 8.3.1 head, i removed the checks for such a thing (build/nano_env:83 and following). It's building now, so I'm happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.