SOLVED New raid with 5 3tb drives and 1 4tb

Status
Not open for further replies.

mammothgun

Cadet
Hi I and trying to set up a new raid in FreeNAS 11, I have 5 3tb drives and a 4tb drive. I would like to have them all as one raid with 1or 2 disks of redundancy, so I have around 12 -15tb, when I try it won't let me add the 4tb into the others.
Is this possible to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

gpsguy

Yes, if it's a new pool, you can use the manual setup option in the bottom right hand corner of the Volume Manager screen. The 4TB drive will effectively be seen as a 3TB drive.

That's assuming, you don't have a pre-existing volume containing the 5x3TB drives and you're trying to add the 4TB drive to it. If that's the case (you already have a vdev), you can't add another drive to it. You'd have to backup the data, destroy the volume, and recreate it all the disks at the same time.

btw, with 3/4TB drives we'd recommend RAIDz2.

mammothgun

Cadet
Yes, if it's a new pool, you can use the manual setup option in the bottom right hand corner of the Volume Manager screen. The 4TB drive will effectively be seen as a 3TB drive.

That's assuming, you don't have a pre-existing volume containing the 5x3TB drives and you're trying to add the 4TB drive to it. If that's the case (you already have a vdev), you can't add another drive to it. You'd have to backup the data, destroy the volume, and recreate it all the disks at the same time.

btw, with 3/4TB drives we'd recommend RAIDz2.
Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
If that's the case (you already have a vdev), you can't add another drive to it.
Well, you can, you just shouldn't. Assuming you care about your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.