New nas multiple purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsky07

Dabbler
Hi all,

I am a newb on freenas but not new to Windows or Ubuntu which is the previous versions of servers I had.

Fast forward to today and I am interested in building a dedicated server based on Freenas.

Needs are as follows:
Freenas storage with 8x6tb wd red drives in zfs2 for available storage of 36gig. Need to be able to hotswap drives. I would also install PLEX server and crashplan apps on the freenas to serve up media and backups.
Windows 7 Media center which is my dvr for the whole house used with Xbox 360 extenders. Additionally blue iris software on Windows 7 is monitoring 4-6 cameras around the house.
I might install SteamOS in addition if I can connect a good gpu to the system.

The planned hardware:
MB: Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F-O
Memory: Crucial 32gb(2x16) DDR4-2133 ECC Server Memory CT2K16G4RFD4213
CPU: Xeon e3-1240L v5
Case: Norco RPC-4308 Eight Hot Swap Bays

Questions:
1. What is the best and safest route to virtualize or run concurrently all the 3 or more systems. I know EXSi is an option to virtualize everything. The other path is to virtualize in freenas under virtualbox. Best route to go and opinions really appreciated.
2. Is my hardware going to cut it to run two or more OSes? Particularly the memory requirements are high for freenas and I am not sure if I need to go higher.
3. The best path to go whichever way you think is best and any additional hardware needed if you suggest a particular path.
4. Absolutely any other tips and suggestions as I have never done anything like this before.

I have read several posts on this forum and elsewhere but thought I get opinions on my particular use case.

Thank you for all your help in advance.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Xeon e3-1240L v5
With this proc you are losing 700MHz in speed and are paying a higher price.
Power usage comparisons at IDLE will be so slight as to take a very long time
to recover increased cost of L model proc. If you intend to pound the server on
a regular basis, the above would not apply.
Other than that, the list is sweet!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
What is the best and safest route to virtualize or run concurrently all the 3 or more systems. I know EXSi is an option to virtualize everything. The other path is to virtualize in freenas under virtualbox. Best route to go and opinions really appreciated.
I am a fan of using real hypervisors (ESXi) so would lean that way. However, I am not suggesting that you virtualize FreeNas; unless strictly as a Test/Dev Environment. Check out the forums and you will see a lot of recommendations to NOT virtualize FreeNas; especially when considering using it in a Production Environment. Here are some links:
Please do not run FreeNAS in production as a Virtual Machine!
Absolutely must virtualize FreeNAS!" ... a guide to not completely losing your data.
Virtually FreeNAS ... an alternative for those seeking virtualization

Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F-O
Note there are significant considerations when using the X11 Series:
So, you've decided to buy a Supermicro X11 board...
xHCI, Skylake, Supermicro X11 rant
My Dream System (I think)

Please take some time to at least go over the links I provided and do a little researching in the forums; especially since this is all new to you. Not trying to scare you away, but believe that the best thing to do is first get familiarized so you can make more informed decisions.

P.S., there are additional links for "Recommended Reading" in my sig, that you may fine informative as well.

Mirfster

Dsky07

Dabbler
With this proc you are losing 700MHz in speed and are paying a higher price.
Power usage comparisons at IDLE will be so slight as to take a very long time
to recover increased cost of L model proc. If you intend to pound the server on
a regular basis, the above would not apply.
Other than that, the list is sweet!
Thanks BigDave. My goal is to significantly reduce my power consumption and I just could not find idle usages of the new E3-1200 v5 processors. The security camera monitoring is on 24/7 and everything else is pretty much on-demand.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There are no numbers available for idle on those newest Xeons, however, observationally, the Xeons have historically had very similar idle power usage within a given family (E3, E5-16, etc).

The power limited parts are intended not to save power but to enforce thermal limits within a design. So if you have a heatsink and fan in a chassis that simply cannot possibly dissipate 80W (or whatever) then you can stick in a low power part and get a guaranteed cap.

You are better off financially and performance-wise to get the standard part and as a bonus it will go faster when load calls for it.

Dsky07

Dabbler
There are no numbers available for idle on those newest Xeons, however, observationally, the Xeons have historically had very similar idle power usage within a given family (E3, E5-16, etc).

The power limited parts are intended not to save power but to enforce thermal limits within a design. So if you have a heatsink and fan in a chassis that simply cannot possibly dissipate 80W (or whatever) then you can stick in a low power part and get a guaranteed cap.

You are better off financially and performance-wise to get the standard part and as a bonus it will go faster when load calls for it.
Oh great this extremely helpful. Thank you.

Dsky07

Dabbler
I am a fan of using real hypervisors (ESXi) so would lean that way. However, I am not suggesting that you virtualize FreeNas; unless strictly as a Test/Dev Environment. Check out the forums and you will see a lot of recommendations to NOT virtualize FreeNas; especially when considering using it in a Production Environment. Here are some links:
Please do not run FreeNAS in production as a Virtual Machine!
Absolutely must virtualize FreeNAS!" ... a guide to not completely losing your data.
Virtually FreeNAS ... an alternative for those seeking virtualization

Note there are significant considerations when using the X11 Series:
So, you've decided to buy a Supermicro X11 board...
xHCI, Skylake, Supermicro X11 rant
My Dream System (I think)

Please take some time to at least go over the links I provided and do a little researching in the forums; especially since this is all new to you. Not trying to scare you away, but believe that the best thing to do is first get familiarized so you can make more informed decisions.

P.S., there are additional links for "Recommended Reading" in my sig, that you may fine informative as well.
Thank you. Read all of those except your sigs links but will read those asap.

Do you guys see problem with 32gb ram allocation with the large storage array on the Freenas. I probably would have to dedicate about 8gb ram to Windows VMs which would leave 24gb for freenas 48tb (36tb after two drives used for redundancy)

Last edited:

Dsky07

Dabbler
With Plex and CrashPlan running too, you might be pushing it, but only testing will confirm.
Thank you. What if I downsize the array to 6x6tb which would provide 24tb usable after using 2 for redundancy?

I figure to stick with the recommended specs for freenas to minimize my testing time and potential issues.

Actually that brings me to the question on the recommended ram. If I use 6x6tb drives that is 36tb array. But after redundancy it is 24tb. To which storage count do I apply the 1gb per tb spec?

Mirfster

If I use 6x6tb drives that is 36tb array. But after redundancy it is 24tb. To which storage count do I apply the 1gb per tb spec?
Personally I would count it towards the total RAW space (36 TB). But remember for the most part that is a general concept and not fast/hard coded. Best to run with what you can for now and if needed try to get the memory up later. At the very least this will get you more familiarized and you will have a better understanding if/when you decide that you want to purchase hardware.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Thank you. What if I downsize the array to 6x6tb which would provide 24tb usable after using 2 for redundancy?

I figure to stick with the recommended specs for freenas to minimize my testing time and potential issues.

Actually that brings me to the question on the recommended ram. If I use 6x6tb drives that is 36tb array. But after redundancy it is 24tb. To which storage count do I apply the 1gb per tb spec?
You would be fine with 32gb RAM. If you don't use too many jails or plugins, 16 gb will be fine

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Personally I would count it towards the total RAW space (36 TB). But remember for the most part that is a general concept and not fast/hard coded. Best to run with what you can for now and if needed try to get the memory up later. At the very least this will get you more familiarized and you will have a better understanding if/when you decide that you want to purchase hardware.

When I bumped the minimum RAM requirement from 6GB to 8GB some years ago, I also rewrote the sizing rule of thumb a bit to make it a little more vague. The facts are that the actual thing you need is something like "don't be stupid about it"; you can pick whether 1GB:1TB means raw space, usable space, or even used space (within reason) ... but more RAM is apst always better and leads to better performance.

gpsguy

He might still be on vacation - he needs a forum break. Or another beer. ;-)

Sent from my phone

Dsky07

Dabbler
I finally got my hardware financed courtesy from my gaming computer. He will be missed. Specs are below. Will be experimenting with Freenas virtualized on ESXi for storage to serve windows 7 VM for several purposes.
As an alternative will explore nappit all in one too.

The actual hardware:
MB: Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F-O
Memory: Crucial 64gb(4x16) DDR4-2133 ECC Server Memory
CPU: Xeon e3-1270 v5
Case: Norco RPC-4308 Eight Hot Swap Bays
Drives: 8x 6TB WD Red drives
Raid card: Dell PERC H200

I hope I can pass-through an Nvidia GTX 960 to Windows 7.

Wish me luck.

Dsky07

Dabbler
Edited above to reflect the Dell PERC H200 raid card for pass-through to Freeness or NappIt.

Status
Not open for further replies.