BradTN

Cadet
So heres the rig I am going to be building

BitFenix Prodigy case

ASUS P8H77-I mITX LGA1155 H77

Intel Core i3 3220 Dual Core Hyperthreading Processor

16gb of ram

and the plan is for five 3tb drives

Now my main use for this box is basically streaming media and file storage throughout my house to boxee box's , my own pc and to use for sickbeard and sabnzbd. The way I am doing it now I have multiple drives in my pc each holding different tv shows and stuff and it gets pretty annoying when im trying to find what drive a particular show is on. My question is in regards to FreeNas for my purposes what is the best setup? I am also wondering if it is possible to have this machine also have a drive specifically for Windows incase lets say i wanted to do some gaming on this machine in the future? My idea was to run freenas off a usb. I am looking for the most latitude I can get with the box and I would love to hear opinions on what is the best solution and setup. Thanks for your time guys much appreciated

tropic

Dabbler
I've had no drama using a very similar setup for my home NAS--just a solid little workhorse. I disabled the onboard RTL8111F and subtituted an Intel 82574L PCI-e NIC, though. I don't think you'll need to do that for your intended use.

It shouldn't be hard to keep a sixth drive with Windows installed for occasional use. Just be careful not to alter any of the other drives!

Status
Not open for further replies.