New Mini X+ Scale install advice wanted.

kbax

Dabbler
Hello all. I have just received a Mini X+. Unit has not yet been powered on. The unit comes with Core, I would like to run Scale.
This is for a home install, no business critical worries. I will have a static backup of all files served.
Questions:
Would it be wise to go with Scale Beta and update to Release when available or go with Core now and change to Scale Release when available?

Does the device from the factory have any type of license or key that I would loose if I just start it up with the Scale install first thing?

Using Scale, are there any configuration optimizations or drivers for the Mini X+ hardware that I should look into?

Thanks for reading.
KBax

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No license keys or similar crap to worry about.

So it's up to you. Stability now with extra hassle later to migrate things over (or just stay with Core, unless you plan on getting more units for a cluster), or a more linear experience.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Would it be wise to go with Scale Beta and update to Release when available or go with Core now and change to Scale Release when available?
Does the device from the factory have any type of license or key that I would loose if I just start it up with the Scale install first thing?
Using Scale, are there any configuration optimizations or drivers for the Mini X+ hardware that I should look into?
KBax
Hi KBax,
You can do either. SCALE does not have graphical enclosure management for MInis yet. There is a missing driver in Linux.
There are no license keys for Minis... so you can snapshot and rollback to CORE. Its better to start with CORE for that reason.
No special configuration optimizations... its the same OpenZFS underneath.

kbax

Dabbler
Hi KBax,
You can do either. SCALE does not have graphical enclosure management for MInis yet. There is a missing driver in Linux.
There are no license keys for Minis... so you can snapshot and rollback to CORE. Its better to start with CORE for that reason.
No special configuration optimizations... its the same OpenZFS underneath.

Thanks for the reply. The snapshot sounds like good advice. I will give that a try.