New Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
Having been unsuccessful in replacing a disc which died in my array I decided that I would just build an entirely new system however for the life of me I am stuck even before the beginning and would appreciate some advice.

I am intending to utilise a spare 60GB SSD, same as my original system, for the Freenas installation. I have six brand new Western Digital 3TB Red drives installed for the array though they are currently not connected with SATA cables, power is connected however.

I have downloaded the latest release of Freenas and burnt the ISO to a USB with 'ISO to USB', actually I have burnt it to three different USBs. When I start the system the USB with the Freenas installation on it and the SSD show in the bios. However whenever I try to boot the only thing that occurs is that 'GRUB' shows in the top left of my screen with a flashing cursor next to it. Doesn't matter what I did it never progresses.

Any advice?

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
Intel Core i-7-860
16RAM
6 x Western Digital 3TB Red NAS drives
1 x Corsair 60GB SSD
Gigabyte P55A-UD4 board

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Perhaps you have a corrupted ISO download? Validate the CheckSum of your ISO to be sure.

As far as your system, you may want to reconsider actually using this for FreeNas...
  • CPU does not support ECC RAM
  • Motherboard does not support ECC RAM
  • Motherboard has a RealTek NIC (RTL8111E)
  • I believe the Storage Controller is Marvell (Marvell 9128)

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
Not really. Ecc is expensive..ram, board and cpu..thats close to 2k where i live. If i was going to spend that much id buy a synology or such.

I have run freenas or the same or less for two years so i am comfortable with this hardware.

I have downloaded the current build twice now plus version 9.3. Each time i am getting either "grub" with a flashing cursor or grub rescue with a flashing cursor.

I have tried burning the iso with two different programs and on multiple usb keys. Same result.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I have downloaded the current build twice now plus version 9.3
Guess you are trying to install an older version?
Are you downloading version 9.3 from http://www.freenas.org/download-freenas-release.html ?
Have you verified the checksum (9.3) ? [sha256 checksum: 1e9fdf2e3225d5aaca8601db6f4b04fb660c3a72d40e3c7c59501cf1bc7c3064]
Can you test the USB stick(s) on another computer; just to see if it boots properly or has the same result?

I have tried burning the iso with two different programs and on multiple usb keys. Same result.
If desired, try using Rufus (http://rufus.akeo.ie/). That is what I use to make the USB installation media.

Not really. Ecc is expensive..ram, board and cpu..thats close to 2k where i live. If i was going to spend that much id buy a synology or such.

I have run freenas or the same or less for two years so i am comfortable with this hardware.
2K? Wow where do you live, cuz that is some crazy price gouging. If you wanted build advice on a budget, I am sure others would gladly provide information. Anyways, your data so your choice... Not wanting to preach too much.

Final Note: I am not thinking too many others are going to try and assist too much due to your specs. But, ya never know.

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
9.3.1. I have also tried 9.3.

I am not overly concerned with the specs. I have run freenas on lower specs for 2 years as i said. Had a drive fail recently, other than that i have had no problems. It does what i want so that is all that matters.

I tried the usbs on another computer and get the same grub recovery messages.

Ill check the checksum tonight. Be interesting if three different downloads are all corrupt.

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
Ok, I have done a checksum and all is verified. I have used Active@ Killdisk on the SSD I want to install the software on. I still got the same problem.

Through trial and error I have discovered that by turning the "Storage Boot Option Control" to Legacy Only I can boot to the installer however I get the following message:

FreeNAS_INSTALL failed with error 19

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
No myth mate. ECC DDR3 is double the price of non-ECC. 16Gb Kingston ECC is $270 a stick, Kingston non-ECC in 16GB flavour is $115 a stick. I would call over double the price expensive.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No myth mate. ECC DDR3 is double the price of non-ECC. 16Gb Kingston ECC is $270 a stick, Kingston non-ECC in 16GB flavour is $115 a stick. I would call over double the price expensive.
If true, you are being ripped off. Or looking at 16GB DDR3 UDIMMs, which are rare and priced accordingly - and mostly useless, since they only work on Avoton boards.

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
Offocurse. The cheapest Supermicro MB (X10SRi-F) I can buy is $541. When you add the HDD, processor and memory to that its way over a grand and that does not include postage.

Anyway its beside the point. I am still trying to resolve this error 19. I have read the thread and tried some of the recommended solution however it didnt resolve the problem. Other than the WD RED drives my config has run FreeNAS for the past two years however it won't install now.

Status
Not open for further replies.