New FreeNAS Mini setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAXQ

Contributor
Have kind of an odd thing, I set up a FreeNAS MINI system - the entire system is iXsystems, have two 16G SATADOM boot drives mirrored and 4 - 2TB drives set up in a raidz2. I have set up some windows SMB Shares - 1 wide open general purpose share for anyone to drop files, and one folder that is owned by a local user on the FreeNAS server. So each time I need access to that special folder, I have to use freeNASserverName\user and then the users password.

This works great from many computers in my network, I was using my old w2012r2 file server to run robocopy backups from the old file server to the new FreeNAS server and logging in worked fine. I can actually connect to the shares from Win7, Win8, Win10, Linux - even a ChromeBox has no issues connecting to the open share or the single user password protected share - it seems the only computer I cannot access the password protected share from (the open one works fine) is my 2012r2 AD Domain controller in the LAN. I'm keeping this server around for user authentication and simple group policies and was going to also run my backups from it (robocopy from the desktops to the FreeNAS for daily backups) - so needed the AD Domain admin to run. I can run it from another member server - but was just kind of curious why the AD Domain controller will not connect to the password protected share? Is there some way to make it work? Or should I just continue and run the backup job from a member server instead. And what on the FreeNAS server should I check to try and narrow down the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

Which build version (System -> Information)?

Anything in /var/log/messages when the authentication fails?

DAXQ

Contributor
Thanks for the reply.

Which build version (System -> Information)?

FreeNAS-11.1-U2

Anything in /var/log/messages when the authentication fails?
Nothing in /var/log/messages

but in /var/log/samba4/log.smbd I get:

[2018/03/14 15:58:28.236596, 1] ../source3/smbd/service.c:521(make_connection_snum)
create_connection_session_info failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Its really weird - I was able to run my backup jobs from a W8 desktop logged into the same domain as Admin, but cannot access that share from the AD server.

DAXQ

Contributor
Just upgraded to FreeNAS-11.1-U3 and the two specific logons I have began failing to work. Was freaking out quite a bit, but I knew the data was there just couldn't access it. Tried removing the share and re-adding it, tried access with root, nothing. Then I edited the user and re-entered their passwords and it started working again. Beginning to feel like an "If it aint broke, dont fix it" kind of set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.