Using Samba4-AD as directory service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neek

Dabbler
Hi, I'm running FreeNAS 9.3 on a home-built machine, for use within a small network (my home). I've setup Samba's AD as a domain controller. I'm now trying to get the file server itself to use the accounts in that AD server, and I seem to be missing something.

My filer runs at 192.168.0.8. I currently have the filer set to use that address as primary DNS, and 192.168.0.1 (my router/firewall) as the backup DNS, since the router is my real DNS server.

When I attempt to configure Directory Service -> Active Directory, I put in a domain, domain admin user, and its password, and all are saved correctly, but I am unable to click the enable checkbox.

Conceptually, it would seem that FreeNAS should be able to depend upon the samba service as its user/uid repository. Is that not correct? What else could I look at to diagnose this issue?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Samba project strongly discourages having a single machine do both AD DC and AD member.

Neek

Dabbler
Is looking up users in AD the same as becoming an AD member computer in FreeNAS? The two operations are not required on windows machines. I would think/hope that joining a domain is a separate step, and that using AD for authentication simply uses Kerberos, or LDAP with an AD schema, to query and verify user identities and userids.

And no, unfortunately, I did not make this work. It'd be quite silly for FreeNAS to not be capable of this, at least for smaller domains.

Status
Not open for further replies.