New FreeNAS-er

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkokandy

Cadet
Hello everyone! I was in the market for a NAS-type device and was really disappointed with retail options, so I bought a few components online and built my own box, assembled it, & got FreeNAS up and running yesterday! I'm still working on loading it full of everything I need to store, but I'm already really glad I chose FreeNAS for this.

As for me, I'm 27 and live in North-Central Ohio. I work at a university here, and I'm starting to get really into tech (think I missed a calling somewhere). I'm originally from Chicago. I'll be looking through the forums (in addition to the documentation) to learn how to use some of FreeNAS's features, so I hope to chat with you soon.

ProtoSD

MVP
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your achievement. The forums are full of great info and cover just about every problem. Sometimes the forum search doesn't seem to come up with the best results, but if you search from google like the example below you'll get better results. Also, don't put all of your eggs in one basket and expect FreeNAS or ANY storage solution (raid etc.) to completely and safely store your data, KEEP A BACKUP!! Shit happens when you least expect it no matter how prepared you think you are! ;)

So, to search the forums specifically, from google do this:

LIST YOUR SEARCH TERMS ETC. ETC. followed by site:forums.freenas.org (no space after site:)

And thanks for doing a proper introduction!

-- Proto

EDIT: There are links to documentation and videos etc. in my signature below if you haven't seen them already

G

gcooper

Autopost bot gone wild :)? Reminds me of a few scripts I wrote too, so I understand when things go a bit looney :).

Status
Not open for further replies.