Hello FreeNAS Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

i'm awful at introductions so i keep it short.

I use FreeNAS for quite some time now (mostly because i didn't want to spend money on a dedicated NAS Box when i still have my old PC standing around doing nothing but catching dust) so i gave FreeNAS a try ... in the beginning everything was confusing (and partly it still is, since most of the time it just works and doesn't require special attendance - as i'm using it only as a Media/Streaming Server) ...

now i decided to finally build a new Platform with a little more CPU Power (HD Video streams with subtitles require a bit more than my old box can handle) and a little less power consumption... and a few more disks.. i think you know the story....

I'm really excited about the new Version since the new Interface is really REALLY nice to work with and Docker and VM Support is something i long waited for... (finally something actually "useful" i can do with the box at home ;-) )

The new box is running stable now (Memory/CPU Burn ins -> ok) with Version 9.10.

The first experience i made with 10 was that for whatever reason it doesn't survive a reboot.
Installation and initial Configuration works fine - once i reboot it after configuration it won't start up anymore - that is it freezes on different points of "loading <something>".

Version 9.10 works stable on the platform... i guess i wait for the final release before i do more testing - although any hints on what i can do to check what possibly is wrong during booting would be very appreciated

Thanks

br
peter

Bisquit

Dabbler
Hi Peter, welcome to the forums. Haven't tried 10 yet myself, so I can't help you with that. I'm using FreeNAS on an old box as well, just for Sab, Transmission and SickRage. Going great so far. Enjoy!!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi there,

i'm awful at introductions so i keep it short.

I use FreeNAS for quite some time now (mostly because i didn't want to spend money on a dedicated NAS Box when i still have my old PC standing around doing nothing but catching dust) so i gave FreeNAS a try ... in the beginning everything was confusing (and partly it still is, since most of the time it just works and doesn't require special attendance - as i'm using it only as a Media/Streaming Server) ...

now i decided to finally build a new Platform with a little more CPU Power (HD Video streams with subtitles require a bit more than my old box can handle) and a little less power consumption... and a few more disks.. i think you know the story....

I'm really excited about the new Version since the new Interface is really REALLY nice to work with and Docker and VM Support is something i long waited for... (finally something actually "useful" i can do with the box at home ;-) )

The new box is running stable now (Memory/CPU Burn ins -> ok) with Version 9.10.

The first experience i made with 10 was that for whatever reason it doesn't survive a reboot.
Installation and initial Configuration works fine - once i reboot it after configuration it won't start up anymore - that is it freezes on different points of "loading <something>".

Version 9.10 works stable on the platform... i guess i wait for the final release before i do more testing - although any hints on what i can do to check what possibly is wrong during booting would be very appreciated

Thanks

br
peter
Welcome to the forums!

FreeNAS 10 is still in Beta testing, so it's not suitable for production use. You probably encountered a fleeting bug that made your system fail to boot; which may or may not have been fixed by now. :cool:

If you want to play with the FN10 Beta and submit bug reports, the development team will appreciate it! Otherwise it's best to stick with version 9.10 for now.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.