New CIFS share and non-owners able to overwrite permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

iniazi

Dabbler
I've been googling this for past 3 or 4 days, and I just can't seem to find the info.

Problem is that, other users (ones who aren't owners or in the group) are able to change ownership of the share/folders to themselves and then are able to write/delete files etc.

Basically I set it up like this:
  • I have an account for myself, and I also have other accounts for my kids. In this case, I want to give them read access, but not modify/delete files.
  • Created CIFS share called 'Media' (/mnt/tank/Media) & applied Default Perms, Browsable, and Export Recycle Bin checked, everything else is default (unchecked, empty, or VFS objects, aio_pthread and streams_xattr selected, and a periodic snapshot, no aux param)
  • Dataset was also mainly default options (no dedupe, changed to no atime) but after I created CIFS share, in the gui, I changed ownership to my user and my group (When this didn't work first time, I deleted the dataset/cifs share and recreated and tried with my user id and group set to wheel with the same result).
  • In windows, security setting for that share or folders I create, my user/group has full permissions, and "Everyone" shows as Read+Execute/List folder contents/Read permissions (I believe these are the default permissions).
  • Connecting to FreeNAS using Computer Management and connected to remote server. Under shares, I opened up 'Media' and Share permissions show 'Everyone' only, and it has three permissions (Full Control, Change and Read) and they are all checked. I'm unable to remove 'full control', which just says access denied. Maybe this permission is supposed to be this way and correct?
  • As myself, I can mount it, and write files to this share. Other users can mount it, and are not able to create folders/files. But kids accounts are able to change ownership of files, subfolders, and the root of the share to themselves, and then are able to write into the folder, delete files etc. (after taking ownership of the files etc.). Is this normal? i.e. are we supposed to remove Everyone share and have to add specific users that should have read only access? When I add the other user specifically , it seems like that user isn't allowed to modify files and permissions anymore.
Oh, I'm not changing permissions via Freenas shell. I set the initial permissions (my user and with or without my group using data set->permissions), and everything else I'm looking at through windows, in case I wasn't clear up there.

If I can get a handle on the permission (and atleast know that the permissions are working as intended, I can actually start to put files on there and use the NAS). I'm afraid to actually start to use it, worried that I'll maybe have to reinstall freenas and reconfigure the files. Thanks for any help.

Here is my smb.conf:
Code:
[global]
  username map = /usr/local/etc/smbusers
  server max protocol = SMB2
  encrypt passwords = yes
  dns proxy = no
  strict locking = no
  oplocks = yes
  deadtime = 15
  max log size = 51200
  max open files = 942932
  load printers = no
  printing = bsd
  printcap name = /dev/null
  disable spoolss = yes
  getwd cache = yes
  guest account = nobody
  map to guest = Bad User
  obey pam restrictions = yes
  directory name cache size = 0
  kernel change notify = no
  panic action = /usr/local/libexec/samba/samba-backtrace
  nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
  server string = FreeNAS Server
  ea support = yes
  store dos attributes = yes
  lm announce = yes
  time server = yes
  acl allow execute always = true
  acl check permissions = true
  dos filemode = yes
  multicast dns register = yes
  domain logons = no
  local master = yes
  idmap config *: backend = tdb
  idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
  server role = standalone
  netbios name = FILES
  workgroup = WORKGROUP
  security = user
  pid directory = /var/run/samba
  create mask = 0666
  directory mask = 0777
  client ntlmv2 auth = yes
  dos charset = CP437
  unix charset = UTF-8
  log level = 1

[Home]
  path = /mnt/tank/Home
  printable = no
  veto files = /.snapshot/.windows/.mac/.zfs/
  writeable = yes
  browseable = yes
  recycle:repository = .recycle/%U
  recycle:keeptree = yes
  recycle:versions = yes
  recycle:touch = yes
  recycle:directory_mode = 0777
  recycle:subdir_mode = 0700
  shadow:snapdir = .zfs/snapshot
  shadow:sort = desc
  shadow:localtime = yes
  shadow:format = auto-%Y%m%d.%H%M-2w
  shadow:snapdirseverywhere = yes
  vfs objects = shadow_copy2 zfs_space zfsacl aio_pthread streams_xattr recycle
  hide dot files = yes
  guest ok = no
  nfs4:mode = special
  nfs4:acedup = merge
  nfs4:chown = true
  zfsacl:acesort = dontcare

[Media]
  path = /mnt/tank/Media
  printable = no
  veto files = /.snapshot/.windows/.mac/.zfs/
  writeable = yes
  browseable = yes
  recycle:repository = .recycle/%U
  recycle:keeptree = yes
  recycle:versions = yes
  recycle:touch = yes
  recycle:directory_mode = 0777
  recycle:subdir_mode = 0700
  shadow:snapdir = .zfs/snapshot
  shadow:sort = desc
  shadow:localtime = yes
  shadow:format = auto-%Y%m%d.%H%M-2w
  shadow:snapdirseverywhere = yes
  vfs objects = shadow_copy2 zfs_space zfsacl aio_pthread streams_xattr recycle
  hide dot files = yes
  guest ok = no
  nfs4:mode = special
  nfs4:acedup = merge
  nfs4:chown = true
  zfsacl:acesort = dontcare

iniazi

Dabbler
Hmm, I setup a new VM of freenas, and created a media dataset, two users, and changed the user perms to user1 (via gui, and left the group to default). I mounted the share on one computer as user1, and created a folder inside it. Went on another computer, mounted as user2, unable to delete folder nor create files in the root or subfolder. but right clicked->properties->security->advanced, as user2, and was able to take ownership, and then was able to write to that folder and delete it.

So is there a limitation of that 'Everyone' group with freenas? i.e. that it has modify permissions? or is it some config I'm supposed to set in addition. I would like to share some of the mounts to 'everyone' but don't want them to every delete files on it.

iniazi

Dabbler
Just an FYI, someone else was able to reproduce this issue on IRC. He filed a bug: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/12050 in case someone runs into the issue. Basically with 9.3.1, you create a dataset,, change ownership of the dataset to yourself (in the GUI), and setup a CIFS share. Another user is able to change ownership of the files & folders to themselves and thereafter delete/modify etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.