New Build, new drives have over a BILLION bad blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
What's kind of interesting about this is that none of these links really, unequivocally, support his position that RAIDZ1 is a bad idea. The discussion on the first is somewhat back and forth, but does note the (commonly-stated, though IMO exaggerated) risk of a second disk failure during rebuild resulting in loss of the pool. The second is endorsing mirrors over any flavor of RAIDZn, but largely due to perceived ease of administration--I'm not convinced by most of the points the author makes, though for smaller pools I'd agree that mirrors are probably a better way to go. The third, like the first, notes quite a bit in the way of pros and cons.

DGenerateKane

Explorer
Well I received the new HBA. So far, it seems ok. I'm not getting any status error messages in the console so far while I run a badlocks test. The test is also much further along than when I was testing it with the other HBA. I had to abort the test around 100 hours so I could replace the HBA on Friday, and now I'm already further along in the test after only 44 hours. I have been having issues running tests still though. I still couldn't run a conveyance test or a badblocks test, until I installed FreeNAS 9.10.2-U6 on a usb stick. Now I can run the tests just fine, but in 11.0-U1 and 11.0-U2 that were both installed to the satadom failed to run the tests. Trying to run the conveyance test would give me the error about providing more than one device name (which I wasn't) and the badblocks test would either say invalid first block or last block depending on the specific commands I entered, when I wasn't specifying either a first or last block. I don't understand why though. It was working initially when I first started testing the 10tb drives I purchased under 11.0-U1. I don't know what could have changed to prevent those tests from running. Should I try a fresh install of 11.0-U2 on the satadom and see if I can run the tests on the new drives then? Or should I just run the tests from 9.10.2-U6 and then switch back to 11.0-U2 once I'm ready to put it into production?

On the topic of RAIDZ1, I'm still planning on using it, as storage is always going to be an issue. I've yet to have a problem with the three pools I have on my current NAS, though I've never had to replace a drive. Reading some of those links as well as the one @cyberjock has in his sig has made me think about RAIDZ2 though.

Stux

MVP
RaidZ2 gives you peace of mind. Peace of mind is quite valuable in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.