BUILD New Build for Storage + Plex Media Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

eadwyn

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

My current setup is an HTPC running 24/7 that runs Plex Media Server and has 14 TB of hard drives (JBOD). The CPU is only powerful enough for 1-2 1080p transcodes at a time. I am looking to create a new build due to almost running out of space, wanting to have redundancy and to be able to transcode 3-5+ streams at once. My budget is around $1500-$2500.

Important things for this build:
  • Be able to transcode 3-5+ streams with Plex
  • Be able to support capacity for 12+ drives (starting with 6) - Planning on running a 6-drive RaidZ2 vdev
  • Be upgradeable down-the-road and move it into a server chassis with support for 24+ drives
  • Be mostly silent - Currently live in a 900 sqft space with my SO

From looking through the hardware recommendation thread and about 10 hours or research, this is what I am currently thinking of building:

Motherboard: Supermicro X9SRH-7F-B - $380 X10SRi-F - $290
CPU: Xeon E5-1620v2 - $288 Xeon E5-1620v3 - $292
Heatsink: CM Hyper 212 Evo - $35
Case: Deep Silence 6 - $210
PSU: Seasonic 650W - $94 - Is this overkill? 130W for the CPU + 10W/hardrive running at 40% comes out to 625W.
Memory: 2 x 8GB Hynix 1600 Registered ECC - $176 2 x 16GB Samsung Registered DDR4 - $390
HDDs: 6 x WD Reds 4TB - $960 - Is getting 3 from NewEgg and 3 from Amazon good enough or should I get 3 WDs and 3 of another brand?
Boot Drive: Flash Drive for FreeNas - $7 Supermicro 16GB sata dom - $48
Total: $2384

Since I am running Plex, would it be advisable to get an SSD for Plex + FreeNas instead of the flash drive?

Thanks for any input/recommendations/criticisms!

Last edited:

marbus90

Guru
Supermicro X10SRi-F or X10SRL-F
E5-1620 v3 or 1650 v3 - if you are using >4 transcoding sessions quite often rather the 1650
2x or 4x Samsung 16GB Registered DDR4

A SATADOM for FreeNAS boot is always recommended. Cuts your SATA ports down by 2 (since you surely want mirrored boot), but far more stable. As chassis I'd go for a Define R5 rather, it's quieter. Tower chassis with a big HDD count usually aren't quiet. Maybe you can find the Sharkoon Rebel9 and drop in 3x 5in3 or 4in3 bays, but that case may be too old. Also if you already have 14TiB of data, go 6TB Reds. 4TB isn't going to cut it.

enemy85

Guru
Hi, i'm not a big expert but i'll tell you what i think about your config:
1) probably the cpu is a bit overkilled, i think an E3 would be enough for 3-5 concurrent plex streams (somewhere i read to consider 1800-2000 cpu score marks per stream);
2) if u decide for the E3 then an X10 mobo could be the perfect combo;
3) The psu is a bit overkilled too for 6hdd, but if u plan 12/24 then it's ok;
4) freenas installed on a flash drive is ok (another possibility is a satadom), but u could use the ssd for the plex jails so it would be better.
These are just my opinions.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Supermicro X10SRi-F or X10SRL-F
E5-1620 v3 or 1650 v3 - if you are using >4 transcoding sessions quite often rather the 1650
2x or 4x Samsung 16GB Registered DDR4

A SATADOM for FreeNAS boot is always recommended. Cuts your SATA ports down by 2 (since you surely want mirrored boot), but far more stable. As chassis I'd go for a Define R5 rather, it's quieter. Tower chassis with a big HDD count usually aren't quiet. Maybe you can find the Sharkoon Rebel9 and drop in 3x 5in3 or 4in3 bays, but that case may be too old. Also if you already have 14TiB of data, go 6TB Reds. 4TB isn't going to cut it.
If you are thinking you need over 32GB of memory this is the build you want. If you won't be needing over 32GB of memory go with a X10SL7 and E3-1230v3

eadwyn

Dabbler
Thanks for the advice! I'm looking into the other potential motherboards right now (I used the recommended one in the hardware guide, but that does look to be almost a year old now). I'll update the thread when I make a choice.

As for the case I chose, it is supposed to be very quiet: http://www.overclockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/DS6-HD+SSD-640x398.png

I'll also look at a satadom (I actually haven't looked too much into the boot drive yet, was going to do that after I figured out the build I wanted).

eadwyn

Dabbler
If you are thinking you need over 32GB of memory this is the build you want. If you won't be needing over 32GB of memory go with a X10SL7 and E3-1230v3

I won't be starting with >32 GB, but I definitely see the need to do so 2+ years down the road when I put this board into a bigger chassis. I'd rather not have to make another build when I am ready to upgrade.

eadwyn

Dabbler
I'm switching the motherboard to the X10SRi-F and grabbing 2 x 16GB Samsung Registered DDR4 which will add another $220 to my build. The 1620 has a passmark of ~9600, which should be good enough for 5 concurrent transcodes (don't think 2 more streams is worth $300 by upgrading to the 1650 ~14000).

Upgrading to 6TB drives would bump my cost up about $600, which would put me out of my budget, so I think I will stick with 4TB drives and just add another vdev down the road when needed.

Thanks again for the advice!

marbus90

Guru
The problem is that hyperthreading falsifies the multithreaded passmark. look for the singlecore score, substract 10% to account for turboboost, multiply with cores -> you'll land at 8k passmarks or less.

The 6x4TB raidz2 vdev will be full before you have copied over all of the data. You can create another raidz2 vdev from the existing disks and replace those smaller/older disks with newer/bigger ones later on.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Um. Why do you say that marbus90?

eadwyn

Dabbler
The problem is that hyperthreading falsifies the multithreaded passmark. look for the singlecore score, substract 10% to account for turboboost, multiply with cores -> you'll land at 8k passmarks or less.

The 6x4TB raidz2 vdev will be full before you have copied over all of the data. You can create another raidz2 vdev from the existing disks and replace those smaller/older disks with newer/bigger ones later on.

Hmm, I didn't realize that was the case with that CPU. I'll have to look more into it. Right now I am perfectly OK with 4 streams, but I am slated to get gigabit internet sometime this year and I would love to share my Plex with more friends and family.

As for the storage, I wasn't planning on migrating all of the data. I have about 2/3 of the media that I would be ok with losing (lower quality encodes) and with the gigabit internet, it wouldn't be too hard to replace.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Plex still benefits from hyperthreading I think, unless you know why it wouldn't. My 1230v3 uses 7 "cores" when transcoding Plex.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm switching the motherboard to the X10SRi-F and grabbing 2 x 16GB Samsung Registered DDR4 which will add another $220 to my build. The 1620 has a passmark of ~9600, which should be good enough for 5 concurrent transcodes (don't think 2 more streams is worth $300 by upgrading to the 1650 ~14000).

Upgrading to 6TB drives would bump my cost up about $600, which would put me out of my budget, so I think I will stick with 4TB drives and just add another vdev down the road when needed.

Thanks again for the advice!

Don't forget the Xeon E5-xxxx v3 processor.

Plex still benefits from hyperthreading I think, unless you know why it wouldn't. My 1230v3 uses 7 "cores" when transcoding Plex.

I can easily imagine a benchmark which produces results better than a real transcode with hyperthreading. That doesn't mean hyperthreading doesn't help.

marbus90

Guru
It may use 7 vCores. Doesn't mean that it works better than without Hyperthreading. You don't get double the real physical cores, just 2 instruction queues for a single core.

eadwyn

Dabbler
I have a question about the motherboard. Is there any difference between a bulk version or a retail version? Is one preferable over the other, or just whatever is cheaper?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
retail comes with cables and backplate. Bulk version wont have all that other stuff. Doesn't matter what you get.

DataKeeper

Patron
Check out the build I'm working on. I opted for the X10SRL-F for > 32GB down the road. Runs the E5-1620 v3 or 1650 v3 CPUs where you could start with the 1620 now, saving $300 and upgrading down the road if (when) needed. The X10SRL-F is a great board to base a future proof setup.

One thing I noticed you mention was the fact you wanted to allow friends and family to have access... If true you'll want the E5-1650v3 when you open it up.

For the memory check go to Supermicro's X10SRI-F page and click the "Tested Memory List" link to the side for certified tested memory.

eadwyn

Dabbler
For the memory check go to Supermicro's X10SRI-F page and click the "Tested Memory List" link to the side for certified tested memory.

Yeah, that's where I was looking for the ram. It says that M393A2G40DB0-CPB is supported.

The ram I found had the model number: M393A2G40DB0-CPB0

The only difference of the two models is the "o". I was wondering if I could still use that (maybe the "o" means OEM?). It's about $40 cheaper per stick, so it would sure be nice if I could use it.

DataKeeper

Patron
No idea what the o is for on their site. I'm ordering the same stuff (minus the o) for 184.99 from Newegg.

Don't know if you have purchased from SuperBiiz before or not. I noticed they had a couple lower priced items. After doing the Google thing just decided way too many bad reviews (long shipping, CC disputes, etc) and not BBB accredited. I'm sticking with Newegg and Amazon myself. The extra couple bucks buys me piece of mind is all ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.