New all flash build (SCALE)

Andreas85

Cadet
Hallo Folks,

My name is Andreas. I'm 36 years old and from Germany (so I apologize for my bad english in advance). At work I deal with storage for the last 10 years (mostly NetApp FAS/AFF Systems). At home I build a small NAS running OpenMediaVault about 5 years ago running on low end consumer Hardware. During the last time my demands have increased, so it definetly time for something new. I had an look at TrueNAS SCALE and have to say I'm loving it. Snapshots, Container, Replication, S3 Sync, etc... All the things I need. And I admit the Management Interface is so much clearer then the ones of NetApp's or Hitachis out there in the world. So I decided to build a small all flash TrueNAS SCALE System.

Demands:
- CIFS Fileservices (Mostly Photos, Documents, etc..) for two Users
- Several Container (Nextcloud, Duplicati, NGINX, MariaDB, OpenHab3, Grafana)

Some Notes:
- I go for Striped Mirrors to be more flexible if I need to expand my Pool.
- I know I uses the only PCI Port for for the LSI SAS HBA. Thats okay because I see no need to install a 10GBe Card in near future.
- I go for an all SSD Array not for the throughput, but for latency reasons.
- I chose the CS280 Case because it fits perfectly on the Sideboard of my Home Office

Specs:

QuantityPrice €Total Price€
SilverStone Case Storage CS280
1​
177​
177​
Supermicro X11SCL-iF
1​
237​
237​
Intel Core i3 9100F 4x 3.60GHz
1​
130​
130​
16GB Kingston (KSM26ED8/16HD)
1​
102​
102​
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB, SATA
2​
139​
278​
Kingston A2000 NVMe PCIe M2 250 GB(Boot Device)
1​
37​
37​
SilverStone SFX Series SX500-G
1​
120​
120​
LSI Broadcom SATA/SAS HBA 9201-8i (IT Mode)
1​
70​
70​
Total:
1081​

I will start with a pool build of only one mirrored vdev, when enough money is there I will expand the Pool by 3 further mirrored vdevs later this year and possibly upgrade the System to 32GB of RAM.

My Questions:

1. Overall is this a reasonable build?
2. There are so many LSI SAS Controller on the market. Should I use the LSI SAS 9201-8i or do you have any other recommendation?
3. I chose the Samsung EVO 860 SSDs because I have read that TRIM and garbage collection is working in conjunction with LSI SAS Controller. Is that true (especially in context with SCALE)
4. Any further suggestions, notes ?

Thanks alot

Andreas