Network gremlins after re-install

sheepish

Cadet
Hello Forum,

I have been running Freenas/Truenas for several years on my HP Microserver (Gen9), always with dual USB flash drives as boot devices, but recently I was a bit careless, and both devices died, and so did the NAS.
Having bought some decent new flash drives, and downloaded the latest ISO, I re-installed TrueNas 12 and was looking forward to a few more years of carelessness NAS life...
However, I can not seem to get the networking going, and I am stumped. Knowing myself, it is of course perfectly possible that I am overlooking something really obvious, but I would still be grateful for someone pointing it out to me!

I followed common guides for setting IPv4 parameters via the console, and if I drop into the shell and do an ifconfig it looks all good to my eyes:

gen9.jpeg

On boot up the console tells me that I can reach the web interface on http(s)://192.168.3.99.
Alas, I can not connect to it. Neither can I ping any web address nor local computer from it.

I ran nmap on another workstation, and it reports the following:

Nmap scan report for 192.168.3.99
Host is up (0.0020s latency).
All 100 scanned ports on 192.168.3.99 are filtered
MAC Address: 7X:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (Hewlett Packard Enterprise)
Too many fingerprints match this host to give specific OS details
Network Distance: 1 hop

I am somewhat baffled. Any hints gratefully received!

P.S. I did search for it, honestly... but I have not managed to work out yet: is there a way to get back from the shell back to the TrueNAS console?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hello Forum,

I have been running Freenas/Truenas for several years on my HP Microserver (Gen9), always with dual USB flash drives as boot devices, but recently I was a bit careless, and both devices died, and so did the NAS.
Having bought some decent new flash drives, and downloaded the latest ISO, I re-installed TrueNas 12 and was looking forward to a few more years of carelessness NAS life...
However, I can not seem to get the networking going, and I am stumped. Knowing myself, it is of course perfectly possible that I am overlooking something really obvious, but I would still be grateful for someone pointing it out to me!

I followed common guides for setting IPv4 parameters via the console, and if I drop into the shell and do an ifconfig it looks all good to my eyes:

View attachment 48500

On boot up the console tells me that I can reach the web interface on http(s)://192.168.3.99.
Alas, I can not connect to it. Neither can I ping any web address nor local computer from it.

I ran nmap on another workstation, and it reports the following:

Nmap scan report for 192.168.3.99
Host is up (0.0020s latency).
All 100 scanned ports on 192.168.3.99 are filtered
MAC Address: 7X:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (Hewlett Packard Enterprise)
Too many fingerprints match this host to give specific OS details
Network Distance: 1 hop

I am somewhat baffled. Any hints gratefully received!

P.S. I did search for it, honestly... but I have not managed to work out yet: is there a way to get back from the shell back to the TrueNAS console?
Welcome to the forum!

I assume you tried the obvious things: make sure the correct network port is plugged in to your switch; try another Ethernet cable; etc.

When you set up networking, did you configure a default route? (Also known as a gateway. Usually this is the IP address of your router/firewall)

Can you ping other PCs from the TrueNAS console shell?

To exit the console shell, just enter exit.

sheepish

Cadet
Thank you Spearfoot!

I did try different cables, and yes, after you asked I even checked that it was plugged in both ends :0) (I figured since nmap was seeing it it had to be, but it pays to check thrice!)

...and no, I can't ping the router even: "no route to host" is what it complains about - despite me having set the default route to that IP.

And as for "exit" - deliciously simple! Thanks again!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thank you Spearfoot!

I did try different cables, and yes, after you asked I even checked that it was plugged in both ends :0) (I figured since nmap was seeing it it had to be, but it pays to check thrice!)

...and no, I can't ping the router even: "no route to host" is what it complains about - despite me having set the default route to that IP.

And as for "exit" - deliciously simple! Thanks again!
Looks like you have two network connections on the machine -- I'm guessing bge0 and bge1 -- are you sure you're connecting the right port?

Do the port lights come up on the interface you're using and on the switch port it's connected to?