Network config is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Dabbler
did you check the smart data
Yes. Summarizing the info, no drive had an increase in faults from one round of tests to the next. Some did have a number of bad sectors that were flagged in the first test and re allocated but they did not gain any additional from subsequent stress tests. I also did test with 2 different systems to try and rule out blind spots in the testing methods.

post the actual error
I was going to, figuring that I could pull logs when I rebooted and got back in but TrueNAS is, well, I have never been so disappointed in software before now. TrueNAS seem to move the system data CONTAINING THE LOGS off the boot drive(which iXSystem strongly recommends using a high quality SSD so it can handle the constant writes of configs and THE F-ING LOGS) and on to the data pool. So I have nothing to fall back to as it crashed on startup and given that there is nothing on this yet, wiping and starting over is easier than trying to recover log files.

I have pulled the 2 pools with the greens and dumped some test data on the pool made of purples and it looks at this point that lack of (OR presence of, these greens were in NVRs before my possession so they may have had it manually enabled) TLER was/is the issue.(?, I am still not sure. Will test further with a few other drives that are practically brand new and post stress test but lacking TLER to see if that was it. )

According to additional digging on the subject ZFS auto marks a drive taking too long to respond as having a bad sector. Is there a config option to adjust the timing on this in TrueNAS? I can't see giving the drive no time to self correct as a good thing when the drive manufactures are building better and better self repair in the drives. Unless of course speed is the desired result, but then who would be using spinning rust for that anyway?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I was going to, figuring that I could pull logs when I rebooted and got back in but TrueNAS is, well, I have never been so disappointed in software before now. TrueNAS seem to move the system data CONTAINING THE LOGS off the boot drive(which iXSystem strongly recommends using a high quality SSD so it can handle the constant writes of configs and THE F-ING LOGS) and on to the data pool.

This behavior is by design, and dates to the origins of FreeNAS, when it was installed on thumb drives with limited endurance. The system dataset, which includes the logs and the configuration database, is relocated off the boot pool and onto the first created data pool, so logs would have a better chance of survival. This can be configured via System->System dataset, and you can manually move it back onto the boot pool.

Samuel Tai

You seem to have a great many preconceived notions as how TrueNAS should behave, and are invariably angered and frustrated when TrueNAS doesn't behave according to your mental template. Have you considered reading the documentation before trying to make the square peg fit in the round hole, so you have a better understanding of TrueNAS to begin with? When I started with FreeNAS 9.3, I read the manual several times, so I could understand the software even before I started vetting hardware to build my system. Likewise, I did thorough research before every upgrade, so I wouldn't be surprised afterwards.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
This is the TrueNAS CORE and Enterprise General Help section of the forum. The TrueNAS SCALE section is here:

So anyone would assume we are discussing CORE.

Samuel Tai

I'll close this thread for further comments. Feel free to start a new one in the SCALE section.

Status
Not open for further replies.