network card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

arden

Dabbler
I build my nas / plex server a few months back the original plan was to use Freenas but had problems with the onboard network card in both freenas and freebsd so built it using linux

as I'm about to add more disks I wondering about trying freenas again this card question is this

arden@nas-drive / $ lspci | grep Ethernet
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
arden@nas-drive / $

gpsguy

Just buy an Intel Pro/1000. At ~$30 USD for an OEM version, it'll run just fine.

Frankly it's hit or miss with Realtek support. Even if it's supported, you may suffer serious performance issues. The Intel Pro/1000 is a cheap fix.

arden

Dabbler
thank you thats what I thought the other problem I have is the lack of pcie slots I wanted to use a case with lots of hdd space the trade off was a small formfactor board with only one slot
this is now taken up with a tv card

guess my other option is to try and go down the usb route this has never been very successful for me in the past though

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yea, unfortunately FreeNAS 9.x does not support RealTek NICs very well. Okay, it's really a FreeBSD support issue. I have heard that FreeBSD 10 is better with that support however I have no idea when iX Systems will be using FreeBSD 10 code in FreeNAS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yea, unfortunately FreeNAS 9.x does not support RealTek NICs very well. Okay, it's really a FreeBSD support issue. I have heard that FreeBSD 10 is better with that support however I have no idea when iX Systems will be using FreeBSD 10 code in FreeNAS.

Next summer is the best estimate you're going to get.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Status
Not open for further replies.