Netatalk 2.2 for FreeNAS 8.0.1 Beta 4 - Lion AFP & Time Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyzanxia

Dabbler
Is there a way to shutdown this avahi-daemon? It's eating up around 12% cpu and memory and I really don't need this.

Rosewood

Cadet
After a lot of trial and error I finally got successful in getting Time Machine to work again via iSCSI and GlobalSAN initiator (free).
iSCSI is a very lightweight protocol with considerable speed. In each case comparable with afp. If the Netatalk port in Freens will be Lion compatible again you'll have two alternatives. For the time being it is the least complex way of backup to Freenas with Time Machine.

Thank you for this idea. This is a great idea and exactly what I'll be doing to timemachine the 3 macs I have to support.

psg190

Cadet
Hey all, I've got FreeNAS 8.0.1 RC 1 up and running in a virtual environment. After having some issues with a 64-bit installation disconnecting before backups could initiate, I went with a 32-bit installation. Time Machine successfully found the disk and a backup has started without issue, but this thing is literally crawling along. I'm saving 128gb on the initial backup and the estimated time to completion is 2 days. Never had any network issues to speak of. File transfers directly to the server have never moved at questionable speeds. I'm new to FreeNAS; any thoughts as to what could be the cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.