Needing a lot of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Do we really want to advocate installing and running old outdated and no longer supported versions of FreeNAS?
Not really, but it serves as an example of how long it has been since 4GB has been enough.

That is probably not the only problem here. The main issue sounds like a network configuration issue.

Hardware is cheap, at least right now. ECC-capable motherboard, processor, and 8G memory can be had for something like $300 new, or there are server-class machines like the Dell T20 which might be available for the same or even less. Seems like if the data is worth keeping, it's worth giving the NAS at least minimal hardware.

gpsguy

I would agree.

That is probably not the only problem here. The main issue sounds like a network configuration issue.

But, from the OP's messages, I'm not clear as to whether the original problem with FreeNAS went away, after he changed the port for SSH. I wondered if the hackers were disrupting his network. That's why I suggested undoing any changes he made to his router.

I do have static ip for the FreeNAS set up through the router. I did have some IP addresses trying to access they system but I changed the tcp port on SSH to a different port and not had the issue since.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Do we really want to advocate installing and running old outdated and no longer supported versions of FreeNAS?
Advocate it, not really but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't provide the answer if it exists. If this was a simple home use behind a firewall NAS then there is nothing wrong using the older software. Heck, I'd even provide them 8.01 through 8.04 if they really wanted it. Yup, still got a copy of those since back in those days many of us actually compiled the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.