Need some help with fan thresholds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceetan

Contributor
I recently updated the BMC firmware on my mobo, but I forgot to backup my fan threshold configs ( I did not preserv configs, as I had heard bad things about that). I have previously used a fan control script by @Kevin Horton to run the box near silent, and I would like to again, but now I seem Unable to get back to that. I do not remember
the logic I used to figure them out two years ago, And I can't quite seem To find the post that lead me right, So I wonder if I can get some help for more experienced users.

I don't quite remember what fans I had, But I am near certain it was a mixture of Noctua NF-F12 and Noctua NF-A14, Plus the stock cooler of my CPU.

I will get more detailed information tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

Figure out which make and model fans you have, and find the manufacturer's specs for minimum and maximum fan speed. Follow the wires to identify which fan header on the board each fan is connected to. Then, use the info in this Resource to set the fan speed thresholds in IPMI.

Note: the minimum and maximum speeds of your fans may vary somewhat from the manufacturer's specs. Set the min speed thresholds a bit lower than the spec, and the max speed thresholds a bit higher than the spec.

Ceetan

Contributor
Done and done! Bonus question ; Is there any way to view the sensors threholds I do have? I'd like to back up the values.

At the console, do ipmitool sensor to see a table of the current reading and thresholds for all sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.