Need some handholding setting up shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovizii

Patron
I've read plenty of threads here trying to help users reset their permissions and fix things but I thought I'd start from scratch. Let me give you some background information:

- I am familiar with windows and linux permissions and sharing but I use a MAC day to day.

I have a small NAS where I need some folders to hold my backups, i.e. Documents, (I will access the folders manually from my MAC via a share (whatever one you recommend) or via sshfs (macfuse)) to which obviously only my user will have access, nobody else should even be allowed to see the share in this network.

I will have a few more folders i.e. movies, series to which I need access AND I will have to give access to plex (I know how to do this) and these folders need guest read only access so people on my network can read movies, series, etc.

My problems started when I upgraded freeNAS from 9.2 to 9.3 as things seem to have changed when it comes to sharing and permissions.

I used to create a dataset ( and now I am wondering why I have to specify the share type when creating seeing that I create the share later only???) then create a share onto it with CIFS since that seems to be the most commonly used one and apparently Apple seems to want to switch over to it too and all was good.

Now after freeNAS 9.3. everything's messed up and things that worked before don't work anymore, chmodding seems forbidden and broken with shares, I need a windows machine to properly setup shares, etc.

I need your suggestion for setting this up (keep in kind my client will be 98% MAC OS X and maybe 1% another plugin running on freeNAS i.e. PLEX and 1% maybe I'll access my shares from a Windows machine.)

So anyone able to give me the steps, i.e.
  1. Create Dataset => Set share type: XXX
  2. Configure Sharing Service XXX with these settings
  3. Create XXX share, setup like ???

D

dlavigne

Use the wizard, it was designed to hold your hand during share creation. The Sharing chapter in the 9.3 docs has been updated to show how to use the wizard to create various types of shares.

ovizii

Patron
But the wizard walks me through everything again starting with language and time zone. Is there an option to just run the wizard for shares?
What should i do with my existing setup that holds important data, shall I rename it all then run the wizard?

Also, the wizard starts with shares, doesn't explain anything and skips over the part where one sets up the datasets.
I'd need advice on my questions about the datasets and shares. I checked the wizard, still no clue what to select there.

D

dlavigne

Is there an option to just run the wizard for shares?

Nope, but you can click through those screens.

What should i do with my existing setup that holds important data, shall I rename it all then run the wizard?

Existing shares should still work. If not, check their permissions on the client side.

Also, the wizard starts with shares, doesn't explain anything and skips over the part where one sets up the datasets.
I'd need advice on my questions about the datasets and shares. I checked the wizard, still no clue what to select there.

The wizard does the right thing for you wrt to dataset creation and default permissions. If you don't know what to select, refer to the Sharing section of the 9.3 docs.

ovizii

Patron
LOL, ok, I see. I have read the manual back and forth BUT:
- it is unclear what exactly the GUI when one ticks specific boxes, i.e. what does the GUi do when I set a share type as UNIX, CIFS, etc?
- some parts of the GUI apparently (according to forum posts) don't "work" i.e. I think if I edit a dataset I cannot change its share type?
- can I change the share type manually via command line?
- I cannot change share permissions on client side as I don't have a windows machine (or did you mean something else and I misunderstood?)
- how can I rename my old datasets as I need to keep using those dataset names... i.e . documents, movies, series ( I mean in order to create new ones with the wizard and use the proper names I need)
- the wizard doesn't seem to assist with datasets, only shares? Can I use the wizard created shares with my existing datasets?

ovizii

Patron
Ok, I gave it a try (deleted a share and attempted to recreate it with the wizard)

=> Error: Failed to create ZFS: cannot create 'zfsmain/Documents': dataset already exists

I haven't even been told it was attempting to create a dataset too!
What now?

D

dlavigne

You are overthinking this which is why the wizard was created in the first place. e.g. for Windows users, create a windows share from the wizard. It will make the correct type of dataset and set the correct default permissions for you. For Mac users, create an Apple share, etc.

Older versions of FreeNAS (and Samba) let you muck with these things and set them up incorrectly. This is why a large % of forum posts are help me fix my permission posts. Newer versions of FN do not let you muck with perms from the GUI (eg you can't use Unix perms on a Windows dataset). If you already have datasets which are shared, they should still work. If not, you will need to give more info about the type of client, type of share, current permissions, and exact error messages.

D

dlavigne

That is to be expected. Deleting a share only stops sharing, it does not remove the dataset and all of its data.

ovizii

Patron
That is to be expected. Deleting a share only stops sharing, it does not remove the dataset and all of its data.
Yes, that's quite clear but its not clear that when the wizard says: create share it actually means: create dataset and share it :-(

I heard Apple is slowly moving away from AFP hence I was going for CIFS shares.

If you already have datasets which are shared, they should still work. If not, you will need to give more info about the type of client, type of share, current permissions, and exact error messages.
Lets just say these old datasets don't work correctly anymore, what would be the easiest way to reset them to default permissions to serve as Windows shares OR alternatively, rename them so I can re-use their names, setup a new share with the wizard and copy/paste their content to the new ones?

[sidenote]Older versions of FreeNAS (and Samba) let you muck with these things and set them up incorrectly. => I'd be very happy if I were allowed to still muck around, at least I was able to get everything to work back then[/sidenote]

ovizii

Patron
OK, so I used the wizard to setup a new share for my brother (and at the same time used the wizard to create a user/group for him) and if I connect with my own user I can still browse his share even though I chose: not accessible for guests.

Any idea how I can prohibit guests from browsing this share without a windows machine? THX

###edit### Solved this myself =>
Code:
getfacl Alex
# file: Alex
# owner: alex
# group: alex
            owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd----:allow
            group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd----:allow
         everyone@:r-x---a-R-c---:fd----:allow

freenas# setfacl -x everyone@:r-x---a-R-c---:fd----:allow  Alex

freenas# getfacl Alex
# file: Alex
# owner: alex
# group: alex
            owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd----:allow
            group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd----:allow

And now I cannot see the share with any user except Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.