Need new Jail, (or VM) Which method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim1962

Patron
Hi I want to have a new Jail (or similar) (for static web hosting duties) but with 11.1u4 I can't add storage via the new interface. (The web interface errors)

Options
1. Jail via old interface (Will work but what happens when iocage takes over?)
2. Change to nightlies and assume new interface/iocage will work OK (and risk nightlies...)
3. Create a VM (a bit bigger than I need)

Space and speed aren't unlimited but not an issue

I'm really looking for the safest option now (and the most future proof likely option going forward)

Suggestions?

kdragon75

Wizard
Your best bet IMHO it to use the old jail format. The old UI and warden will be around for a long time just not as the primary. Once FreeNAS moves over to the new UI and IOcage and all the bugs are worked out, then use the provided tools to convert.

Tim1962

Patron
Thanks,
n=1 but just the nudge I needed

Baenwort

Explorer
And how will you handle the fact that the old jail interface is running a version of FreeBSD(11.0) that is no longer supported in ports or pkg repositories?

When you complain that they haven't updated the jail template/collection they will tell you to use the new interface and stop using warden/old interface...

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

danb35

Hall of Famer
Your best bet IMHO it to use the old jail format.
Disagree, as others have noted. iocage is the way forward for jails, even if GUI support for it is spotty at this time. I'd read up on iocage at the CLI and use that.

Tim1962

Patron
Thanks all, currently messing around with all three (and docker as well for a laugh!) and not yet come to a conclusion. When creating an iocage jail it doesn't seem to network. I'll google it shortly when real life doesn't get in the way!!!
Cheers

danb35

Hall of Famer
When creating an iocage jail it doesn't seem to network.
Yeah, there are some issues with the networking code in iocage in 11.1-U3 and -U4. The README for my Nextcloud jail script documents a workaround.

pschatz100

Guru
As has been pointed out, iocage is definitely the way forward. Furthermore, I would create and manage your jails via the CLI. I had some problems with the new UI. It does see the jails however, so I am confident the FreeNAS developers will get the UI issues resolved (eventually.) Iocage is actually pretty easy to administer via the CLI (assuming that you are comfortable using the CLI.)

Status
Not open for further replies.