Need helping with Samba and creating an advanced CIFS + ACL share

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedBuZz

Cadet
Hello freenas community. After few months of searching i still haven't found the answer to my problem so i'd like to post it here on FreeNAS forum.
Ok the problem is related to samba. I just recently installed FreeNAS because i heared it provides a GUI arround Samba and after i configure the samba i'd like to investigate smb.conf file to see how FreeNAS does things. My goal is to create 2 shared folders (CIFS shares) on wich one group of users will have Read permissions and the other group of users will have Write permissions. Basic unix/linux will not allow me to do that because they are too primitive so i need to use unix/linux ACL's. I asked prolly about 30 linux server admins and none of them knows how to do this setup wich is actually quite common and will overcome all possible problems with permissions with ease as i know it from windows server academy. Can anyone help me out with this please? Weeks of googling showed me countless ways of configuring samba but i dunno man, never found a setup that wouldn't need a MASSIVE rework of the permission and folder system the following morning in production environment. That's just my opinion. Still waiting for someone to prove me wrong. When you connect to FreeNAS server via 'My Network Places' with a username/password combination; how do you gain read permissions on one folder and write permissions on the other?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello freenas community. After few months of searching i still haven't found the answer to my problem so i'd like to post it here on FreeNAS forum.
Ok the problem is related to samba. I just recently installed FreeNAS because i heared it provides a GUI arround Samba and after i configure the samba i'd like to investigate smb.conf file to see how FreeNAS does things. My goal is to create 2 shared folders (CIFS shares) on wich one group of users will have Read permissions and the other group of users will have Write permissions. Basic unix/linux will not allow me to do that because they are too primitive so i need to use unix/linux ACL's. I asked prolly about 30 linux server admins and none of them knows how to do this setup wich is actually quite common and will overcome all possible problems with permissions with ease as i know it from windows server academy. Can anyone help me out with this please? Weeks of googling showed me countless ways of configuring samba but i dunno man, never found a setup that wouldn't need a MASSIVE rework of the permission and folder system the following morning in production environment. That's just my opinion.
See here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-of-how-to-configure-share-permissions.35276/
You configure ACLs through Windows File Explorer like you would a windows server. There isn't really anything permissions-related to see in the smb4.conf file. All you'll see is as follows:
Code:
vfs objects = zfsacl
nfs4:mode = special
nfs4:acedup = merge
nfs4:chown = true 

Access is controlled by the ACLs set on the files and folders, which you can view through "getfacl". You can read up more on it here: http://www.sambaxp.org/archive_data...ecentimprovementsinusingNFS4ACLswithSamba.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.