Need help understanding abnormal cpu/disk load

Status
Not open for further replies.

onigiri

Dabbler
Hello all,

Edit: So I posted a bunch of explanations and screenshots and the tl;dr of my post was, I didn't know what I was looking at fully.

It was indeed a scrub causing my issues and will need to look into how to throttle or spread it out as 30 hours for a scrub and 100% CPU usage is a bit over the top.

AQTW0UP.png

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Looks like a scrub to me.

What is zpool status -v showing?

Although the network use is a little odd if it's that. Maybe a backup job?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You say a scrub takes only a minute for you?

That doesn't match with any experience I have seen. Scrubs are measured in hours unless the volume is really tiny.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It was indeed a scrub causing my issues and will need to look into how to throttle or spread it out as 30 hours for a scrub and 100% CPU usage is a bit over the top.
I don't think a scrub does totally explain what you saw. It accounts for the busy I/O, but not for the CPU load (specifically on SMB). The length of time you see is entirely plausible (depending on how much data you have on the pool, pool configuration, storage hardware, etc.--my last scrub ran just under 21 hours), but you shouldn't see major CPU impact or performance issues while that's in progress.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Resolved.
In what way? If you don't share your solution, you are not helping anyone else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hello all,

Edit: So I posted a bunch of explanations and screenshots and the tl;dr of my post was, I didn't know what I was looking at fully.

It was indeed a scrub causing my issues and will need to look into how to throttle or spread it out as 30 hours for a scrub and 100% CPU usage is a bit over the ...
I see from the image, you have about 420TB and if your scrub is finished in 30 hours, you are doing great.

onigiri

Dabbler
I actually edited the first post saying what my problem was. My issue was not realizing the duration and heavy IO of the scrub.

AQTW0UP.png

I will be making a post later today or tomorrow, I am relatively new to FreeNas (a 'Scrub' if you will) and have inherited two very large NAS boxes built by 45 drives that are used in an enterprise production environment. I want to have you fine community experts tell me if I am missing anything.

Thanks for the help.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I will be making a post later today or tomorrow, I am relatively new to FreeNas (a 'Scrub' if you will) and have inherited two very large NAS boxes built by 45 drives that are used in an enterprise production environment. I want to have you fine community experts tell me if I am missing anything.

Thanks for the help.
I inherited one of the 60 drive systems from them at my work. The one at my work takes about 4.5 days to run a scrub.

diskdiddler

Wizard
6x5TB here on a weeny CPU, 30 hours for my poor little system.

Status
Not open for further replies.