High load and CPU usage continuously...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHawk

Contributor
Hi guys,

I am experiencing a problem with my FreeNAS installation the past week. The only thing I experienced prior to this, is I had some problems with Sabnzbd in combination with Sickbeard and / or Couchpotato.
For some reason everything was hanging, so I decided to reboot (through FreeNAS GUI), however I noticed on the console (because it wasn't coming back up) a kernel panic. Since then I had a high load and CPU usage continuously.

I included a screenshot after doing the top command:

freenas.jpg

Can someone tell me what to do and, if possible, how to fix this.
Please mind my knowledge about FreeNAS and FreeBSD (in general) is very limited (still learning).

I don't know what is causing the high load, wel it seems to be caused by Python, but that can mean everything. Other than that I cannot tell what is causing it.
And rebooting it didn't help and leaving the FreeNAS on for several hours still doesn't reduce the load. I didn't have this before.

Also it causes problems when downloading, because to much or an high CPU usage, lowers my download speed to a few KB/s or even 0.

Please advice. Thank you.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Have you tried stopping the jail? The jail is the only thing that I can think of that would consume massive resources like what you are seeing without you being aware of the resources used.

If the problem is inside the jail my advice is to narrow down which plugin is the problem and figure out if you have a settings issue or not. What's your hardware? If you have a old/underpowered CPU(a good example is an Atom) you can expect high usage for just about anything since Atoms aren't powerhouses.

HHawk

Contributor
Have you tried stopping the jail? The jail is the only thing that I can think of that would consume massive resources like what you are seeing without you being aware of the resources used.

If the problem is inside the jail my advice is to narrow down which plugin is the problem and figure out if you have a settings issue or not. What's your hardware? If you have a old/underpowered CPU(a good example is an Atom) you can expect high usage for just about anything since Atoms aren't powerhouses.

Thank you for responding. I disabled Couchpotato and Sickbeard and left Sabnzbd turned on. I just noticed it's now using way less CPU usage. So I am guessing one of those two plugins is causing problems. But why and / or how, I don't know. Can or should I reinstall them? What's the best way for that?

I also noticed there are now 1.1 versions of the plugins, while I installed the 1.0 versions a few months ago. Will this cause problems? And can I backup the configuration files of Couchpotato and Sickbeard, so I don't lose my settings?

I doubt it's my hardware specs though; I am running FreeNAS with an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor and 16 GB RAM.

interpeix

Contributor
Look at the Sickbeard logs...maybe wrong config cause a lot of cpu use by python. After put your eyes on the CouchPotato...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just like interpeix says. I'd turn one on and look at CPU usage and check the logs.. then the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.