Need help setting network shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxtmission

Cadet
Can someone please help me out why I'm not able to see my FREENAS server in my network. If I typed the FREENAS IP in my browser and It's just fine. I have tried atlease 4 different routers and the only one that I get lucky with is the Motorolla pk5000 (everytime). Nothing being change on my FREENAS configuration but if I were to use the following router than my FREENAS server is not shown in my network but still able to login by typed the IP in the URL.

1. Motorolla 3347
2. TP link TL-R860
3. Linksys WRT120N

I would be very appreciated if someone could tell me what I do wrong.

Thanks

wreuel

Dabbler
What exactly are you trying to do? Access the shared folders? Access web?

pxtmission

Cadet
Can someone please help me out why I'm not able to see my FREENAS server in my network. If I typed the FREENAS IP in my browser and It's just fine. I have tried atlease 4 different routers and the only one that I get lucky with is the Motorolla pk5000 (everytime). Nothing being change on my FREENAS configuration but if I were to use the following router than my FREENAS server is not shown in my network but still able to login by typed the IP in the URL.

1. Motorolla 3347
2. TP link TL-R860
3. Linksys WRT120N

I would be very appreciated if someone could tell me what I do wrong.

Thanks

What I'm trying to acheive is to shares my videos so all the computers in my home and my media players like the OSUS OPLAY can access to my video files. After play around with it all day yesterday and tried many configurationsand t I found out one thing. All the routers that I mention about are in working order and I can able to see my FREENAS in my network but one thing must be done and that is I must have internet connected. Are there a way to configure in the setup that I can still view my FREENAS and its shared folder without the internet connection.

Thanks alot

aleatorvb

Dabbler
How are your routers connected? Can you give us some details about the configartion, dhcp, gateways, ip addresses and anything else you set up?

pxtmission

Cadet
How are your routers connected? Can you give us some details about the configartion, dhcp, gateways, ip addresses and anything else you set up?

I do not setup or change anything in my ROUTER configuration at all. My LINKSYS WRT120N is now work great with or without internet connection. The only thing I'm still trying is to get my TP wired router to work.

As for both Routers connection: My Comcast modemn connected to my WAN or Internet port. All LAN port conncected to my PC or MEDIA PLAYER

Linksys Router: Internet connection type: Automactic configuration DHCP

aleatorvb

Dabbler
To access your shares do you use my network places or \\freenasName\ or \\192.168.x.y (or whatever freenas ip you have set up) ?

pxtmission

Cadet
I used network places to access my share folders. My Freenas is setup auto dectect for available ip.
I can use with my Linksys router but not with any other routers. I spoke with Netgear technician and he told me that I need to config my Netgear port forwarding. But I do not know what port I must port to. If anyone know what port I must forwarding to please help.

Thanks alot

To access your shares do you use my network places or \\freenasName\ or \\192.168.x.y (or whatever freenas ip you have set up) ?

cbraafhart

Dabbler
Did you activate CIFS in services?
After you activate that windows can detect shared Drives / folders created within your freenas
For linux/ unix based computers you have to activate: NFS
And for Apple based computers you have to activate: AFP

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
it sounds like the issue is that you dont understand networking.

have a look at DNS configurations of your routers. there should be no port forwarding if this is all on the LOCAL AREA NETWORK, since port forwarding only involves traversing the 2 different subnets (public ip space and private ip space)

the best option for you is to see if your routers will allow you to add a 'local dns' in their config to allow you to STATICALLY assign an IP to your FreeNAS box and use the DNS provided by your router to find it on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.