SOLVED Router changed, Plex no longer accessible! (Search through the forums before posting)

Inunotashio

Cadet
So I have been searching through these forums, google and reddit before deciding to post for help. For starters I'm using truenas core 13.0.

So like many posts here I recently received a router upgrade from my ISP and at first i wasn't able to access my server at all but after plugging in a monitor i was able to manually enter a new IP then set it as static in my router. My problem is that i cannot get plex to work again, things i have tried:

1. I read one forum where someone suggested to change the IPv4 Default Gateway to my routers IP it was orignally set to 192.168.68.1, I did that and immediately lost connection to my Truenas server and just before deciding to start over with a fresh install I tried changing the IP to a different one and that seemed to work, so i changed the Default Gateway back to what it was before. Now not sure if this affects things but when i originally set the IP after the router change, I found the mac address, set the new IP then reserved the IP with the mac address on my router (I manually typed the mac address). Then after changing the default gateway to my routers IP it not only dropped my connection but the mac address changed, and after i set the new IP it showed as Truenas on my router so it was an easy fix, i'm just not sure if i should set the default gateway back to my routers IP?

2. Another post said to go to the shell of the plex jail and change the nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf to the defualt gateway so I went to do that but it was already set to my routers IP so i changed it to the default gateway which was 192.168.68.1 and that did nothing.

So now I'm at a loss for what to do next, I don't want to reinstall plex but if i have to then thats fine its better then having to reinstall truenas. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
There's not quite enough info here to help. Please report the following:
  1. What is your new router's IP range?
  2. What IP did you give your TrueNAS Core server?
  3. What does your TrueNAS Core show under Network->Network Summary?
  4. What are the settings for the Plex plugin under Jails? Please click the > on the right to reveal the Edit button, and describe the Basic and Network properties tabs.

Inunotashio

Cadet
There's not quite enough info here to help. Please report the following:
  1. What is your new router's IP range?
  2. What IP did you give your TrueNAS Core server?
  3. What does your TrueNAS Core show under Network->Network Summary?
  4. What are the settings for the Plex plugin under Jails? Please click the > on the right to reveal the Edit button, and describe the Basic and Network properties tabs.
Router IP is 192.168.1.254
TrueNAS IP is 192.168.1.115
Network Summary shows:
Name - igb0
IPv4 Address - 192.168.1.115/24
no IPv6, no Default Routes
Nameservers - 192.168.1.254

Plex Jail:

Basic:
DHCP Autoconfigure IPv4 - checked
NAT - uncheck
VNET - checked
Berkeley Packet Filter - checked
everything else is greyed out

Network Properties:
Everything is greyed out but ip4.saddrsel and ip6.saddrsel is checked.

Samuel Tai

OK, I assume your router is using 192.168.1.0/24 as the subnet. Do you know if the router's DHCP server is turned on? Your Plex is configured to get an IP via DHCP. Try accessing the plugin's shell, and then running ifconfig epair0b to see if the plugin got an IP address via DHCP. You may need to restart the Plex plugin to have it pull a new IP.

Last edited:

GBillR

Contributor

Inunotashio

Cadet
My router does have a LAN DHCP option, which where i set the IP address 192.168.1.115 for trueNAS, it shows me a list of IP addresses but I don't see plex in the list.

Inunotashio

Cadet
Shouldn't the default route be set to 192.168.1.254?
When i changed it to that from 192.168.68.1 it made it so my server was no longer accessible from the IP address, I had to connect a keyboard and monitor to change the gateway back to 192.168.68.1 and set it a new IP address. Oddly enough the first time i set it an IP address of 192.168.1.96 I had to manually reserve the IP address with the mac address provided from ifconfig in my router but when i changed the default gateway to 192.168.1.254 it gave me an error because the mac address changed but then when i set it to 192.168.1.115 it then showed up in the DHCP list in my router. Should i set the gateway back to 192.168.1.254 and if necessary set a new IP?

Samuel Tai

When i changed it to that from 192.168.68.1 it made it so my server was no longer accessible from the IP address, I had to connect a keyboard and monitor to change the gateway back to 192.168.68.1 and set it a new IP address. Oddly enough the first time i set it an IP address of 192.168.1.96 I had to manually reserve the IP address with the mac address provided from ifconfig in my router but when i changed the default gateway to 192.168.1.254 it gave me an error because the mac address changed but then when i set it to 192.168.1.115 it then showed up in the DHCP list in my router. Should i set the gateway back to 192.168.1.254 and if necessary set a new IP?
Yes, please change the gateway in TrueNAS back to 192.168.1.254. If you lose connection, reconnect your monitor, and start a shell via option 9. Then run arp -d -a to clear the TrueNAS ARP cache. Afterwards, try pinging the gateway 192.168.1.254.

By any chance, are you using DHCP for TrueNAS, or a static IP?

Inunotashio

Cadet
Yes, please change the gateway in TrueNAS back to 192.168.1.254. If you lose connection, reconnect your monitor, and start a shell via option 9. Then run arp -d -a to clear the TrueNAS ARP cache. Afterwards, try pinging the gateway 192.168.1.254.

Ok I'll do that as soon as I get home, and I'm not sure, I did reserve the IP Address through the "LAN DHCP" option on my routers settings so I would assume that would mean its static but i'm not 100% sure.

GBillR

Contributor
Ok I'll do that as soon as I get home, and I'm not sure, I did reserve the IP Address through the "LAN DHCP" option on my routers settings so I would assume that would mean its static but i'm not 100% sure.
Bad assumption. Your TrueNAS interface can be setup for static or dynamic... in TrueNAS. If you use DHCP, and you've reserved an address in the router for TrueNAS, the router should just assign the address you've reserved. If you setup a static IP in the interface settings in TrueNAS, it will not ask the router for an IP address, it will just use the one you configured in the interface settings on TrueNAS. This can create a lot of issues for you with the router's DHCP server. Especially if you've configured an IP address in TrueNAS, and then that IP address is handed out to another device on your network by the router.

What settings do you have setup for the igb0 interface here: Network/Interfaces/igb0/edit:

Capture.PNG

My suggestions/advice:
  1. Based on your knowledge of networking, you should be using DHCP. It is easy... it just works without you needing to manually set IP settings on your servers and other machines.
  2. If you want TrueNAS to use a static (or consistently assigned) IP, use your DHCP server to manage that. It will keep you out of trouble. The TN interface will ask your router for an IP, and the DHCP server will assign the one you've reserved... AND it has the added benefit of telling the TN server what the default gateway and DNS server addresses are.... i.e., ensuring the TN can talk to the internet.
  3. If you want to set the address as a static IP in the TN interface (which I do not recommend for you), you MUST assign an address outside of the DHCP server's pool of addresses (that setting is in your router's DHCP settings), but still within the same subnet (e.g., 192.168.1.X), and you also must manually enter the default GW and DNS addresses, which in your case are both 192.168.1.254, in the TN network global configuration page.
Your posts indicate that you do not firmly grasp the idea of subnets and IP addressing. You should do some reading if you want to manually manage your LAN IP assignments... otherwise, use DHCP and the router's DHCP reservation settings for those servers where you want them to be assigned a consistent IP address.

Inunotashio

Cadet

Okay, I changed the gateway back, wiped the cache, and restarted the plex plugin. Plex now seems to be working again. Thank you so much for you help!

Inunotashio

Cadet
Bad assumption. Your TrueNAS interface can be setup for static or dynamic... in TrueNAS. If you use DHCP, and you've reserved an address in the router for TrueNAS, the router should just assign the address you've reserved. If you setup a static IP in the interface settings in TrueNAS, it will not ask the router for an IP address, it will just use the one you configured in the interface settings on TrueNAS. This can create a lot of issues for you with the router's DHCP server. Especially if you've configured an IP address in TrueNAS, and then that IP address is handed out to another device on your network by the router.

What settings do you have setup for the igb0 interface here: Network/Interfaces/igb0/edit:

View attachment 63253

My suggestions/advice:
  1. Based on your knowledge of networking, you should be using DHCP. It is easy... it just works without you needing to manually set IP settings on your servers and other machines.
  2. If you want TrueNAS to use a static (or consistently assigned) IP, use your DHCP server to manage that. It will keep you out of trouble. The TN interface will ask your router for an IP, and the DHCP server will assign the one you've reserved... AND it has the added benefit of telling the TN server what the default gateway and DNS server addresses are.... i.e., ensuring the TN can talk to the internet.
  3. If you want to set the address as a static IP in the TN interface (which I do not recommend for you), you MUST assign an address outside of the DHCP server's pool of addresses (that setting is in your router's DHCP settings), but still within the same subnet (e.g., 192.168.1.X), and you also must manually enter the default GW and DNS addresses, which in your case are both 192.168.1.254, in the TN network global configuration page.
Your posts indicate that you do not firmly grasp the idea of subnets and IP addressing. You should do some reading if you want to manually manage your LAN IP assignments... otherwise, use DHCP and the router's DHCP reservation settings for those servers where you want them to be assigned a consistent IP address.
Yes I don't fully understand a lot of the networking side of things lol. My interface settings look almost the same except I have a description set to "em1" and the IP Address field shows "192.168.1.115"

GBillR

Contributor
Yes I don't fully understand a lot of the networking side of things lol. My interface settings look almost the same except I have a description set to "em1" and the IP Address field shows "192.168.1.115"
Glad you got it working.

It is really not that hard to manage your network if you keep things simple. There are a ton of resources available to help you learn, if you are interested. The more complex you make it, the more you will need to learn.

Here is a link to a YouTube playlist that should get you moving in the right direction... there are many others out there. This was just the first one that I stumbled across in my quick search.

Good luck.

Inunotashio

Cadet
Glad you got it working.

It is really not that hard to manage your network if you keep things simple. There are a ton of resources available to help you learn, if you are interested. The more complex you make it, the more you will need to learn.

Here is a link to a YouTube playlist that should get you moving in the right direction... there are many others out there. This was just the first one that I stumbled across in my quick search.

Good luck
Oh cool! I'll check that out, Thank you so much!