SOLVED Need help scheduling 70TB scrub and S.M.A.R.T test

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorR

Contributor
I've read lots of posts on the subject. But, to tell the truth, the GUI still confuses me(3 yrs into using FreeNAS).
Updating to 11.1 failed and wiped out the previous 11.04 boot. So, it was a complete re-install to 11.1 and import the volume
The last time I set up scrub and smart on this machine was over 3 years ago. I have no memory of how I did it.
I've got a 30 x 4TB NAS in RAIDZ2, that is 80% full of 4k video production footage. I did a zpool status before the failed update, and it said it took ~36 hours

I'd like to scrub twice a month(first and third Saturday night). SMART tests can be run anytime during the week after 2am
What would be a reasonable schedule for a production machine like this?

There is also mirrored 2x 120GB SSD Boot Drives that I'd like set up maintenance on. What is a good schedule for SSDs?

Nick2253

Wizard

VictorR

Contributor
Ha! I did a Google search for "ZFS scrub smart". Which, just my luck, did not point to that post. Thanks

Looking at a calendar, I guess I can go with scrub at 10pm Saturday(finish Monday 10am), a threshold of 10 days, and every 11th day of the month. That should have it run March 3rd, 17th, 31st. But, after that, twice a month.

Short SMART tests every Tuesday 4am. SMART Long Test I'll wait until after this weekend to set up for alternating Saturday nights with Scrubs

Since S.M.A.R.T on SSDs are inaccurate to useless, I'll leave those off. Ironically, one of the mirrored boot SSDs just failed.

Thanks for the pointer, that post helped me think it through.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.