BUILD Need Help on Selecting CPU ( X10SLL )

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHyunS06

Dabbler
Hello FreeNAS community,

I am building home-use NAS.

I am opting in for LGA 1550, mainly because there is no where I can get my hands on C2550D4I in Canada.

Below are confirmed parts that I am going to use.

Case: Fractal Design Node 304

Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10SLL-F-O

RAM: Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B (8GB x 2 ) ECC Unbuffered Server Memory

HDD: 2x WD Red 3TB ( I am planning to add more drives in the future, is this possible without redoing all the drive mapping? )

My problem is that I cannot decide which CPU I should get.

The general purpose of this NAS is going to be regular back up of my PC, and mass storage for media files and most importantly, my documents.

I saw some guides and recommendations on this forum saying that Pentium should be fine, but I see that i3 has hyper threading. Does this help?

I don't see myself doing any trans-coding so I think Xeon would be way too overkill.

Let me know and thank you for the help in advance.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
but I see that i3 has hyper threading. Does this help?
To an extent, but do you need it for your workload? I don't think so.
Of course, if you want to do something that benefit from AES-NI, the i3 is definitely the better option.

JHyunS06

Dabbler
To an extent, but do you need it for your workload? I don't think so.
Of course, if you want to do something that benefit from AES-NI, the i3 is definitely the better option.

Thank you so much for your reply Ericloewe.

So if my workload is strictly for storage, Pentium would be more than sufficient right?
To be honest, I don't know what kind of benefit I would gain for having AES-NI...

Also for the hard drive wise, would I be able to start with two drive and add more later?

Let me know and thanks again!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

JHyunS06

Dabbler
Encryption workloads, essentially.

I just realized that I could totally go Skylake route where Pentium processors will also support AES-NI. ( Without almost no price premium of being newer hardware. )
I guess I will also have to change my mobo to x11 line up.

Yes, but it's a complicated thing to explain in a forum post. Fortunately, Cyberjock's solved that part

Thank you so much again Ericloewe.
You are saving me tons of time and I really appreciate that you are taking your time to replying to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.