Need help getting Aquantia 10GbE working in CORE - Already tried the loader

Rush2112

Cadet
Hello,

I'm playing around with an all-in-one NAS, the Asustor Flashstor 12. It has the following 10GbE:

Code:
root@truenas[~]# pciconf -lv | grep -A1 -B3 network
    class      = serial bus
none14@pci0:1:0:0:      class=0x020000 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x1d6a device=0x04c0 subvendor=0x1d6a subdevice=0x0001
    vendor     = 'Aquantia Corp.'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet
root@truenas[~]#

The issue I am having is that the network is not showing up at all.

I've done a tremendous amount of Google searching and I've done all that I can see. For example, I've set the tunable for "if_atlantic.ko" and you can see it here:

Code:
root@truenas[/boot/modules]# kldstat | grep atla
33    1 0xffffffff84377000     a780 if_atlantic.ko

I suspect that the "if_atlantic.ko" driver is not the correct one for the specific hardware that this device has, but I don't know enough about BSD to debug things enough to know for sure. I do know that this works with TrueNAS SCALE, but I rather use CORE.

Could somebody please help?

TL:DR: I can't get my 10GbE to work in CORE, my hardware is Asustek Flashstor 12, the specific GbE shows up as "class=0x020000 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x1d6a device=0x04c0 subvendor=0x1d6a subdevice=0x0001 vendor = 'Aquantia Corp.'

Thanks!

Arwen

MVP
You might try vanilla FreeBSD 13 and see if the network card shows up. If not, you can try trouble shooting their too.

Also, make sure you have enough RAM, the default / supplied is;
  • 4 GB of fast and efficient DDR4-2933 RAM
TrueNAS Core generally wants 8GB -> 16GB.

Rush2112

Cadet
Hey there, yea I have tested with 16GB and 32GB of RAM.

> You might try vanilla FreeBSD 13

Hmm that's not a bad idea. But I think the issue still is that the Acquantis driver in TrueNAS is either old or something. Since this 10GbE is an Aquantis 107 (or 113) so it should work, but it isn't.

Arwen

MVP
Whether it should work or not, TrueNAS Core is Appliance type software. It does not include everything from the original base OS, FreeBSD in this case. So, checking if the NIC works in FreeBSD would be a first step. Meaning:
  • If it does not work in FreeBSD, then that NIC is a non-starter for TrueNAS Core.
  • And if it does work in FreeBSD, then you can ask via Jira feature request / bug report, to have this NIC supported.
Sometimes a vendor will release a new device chip, NIC in this case, with a different vendor:device PCIe code. The device driver does not recognize the new PCIe device code, even though the driver is compatible with it. I once had to modify an OS for something similar, but it's been years and was not FreeBSD or TrueNAS Core. So I can't help further.