Need help directing Cron Job to an app

quintman

Cadet
Hi all, fairly new Truenas SCALE user, looking for some Cron help!

I have an app, Photoprism, that I would like to run a Cron job on each night. I've found some examples online which do what I'd like:

"docker exec -ti photoprism photoprism index —cleanup"

However this command doesn't work when I try to setup a Cron job through the GUI. I'm guessing it's something to do with Scale not actually using docker but Kubernetes? from what I can gather, I may need to edit the first photoprism to point to the correct app (or container?) but I just don't know what I'm looking for.

For reference, if I go to Apps, open the photoprism App Shell and type "photoprism index --cleanup" it does exactly what I want.

Thank you!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Maybe you need some information like this:

quintman

Cadet
Hi thanks for this. I read an understood. came up with the following:
"k3s kubectl exec -n ix-photoprism --stdin --tty photoprism-66976f989b-4b6tr -- /bin/sh"

if I enter this in Truenas she'll, I can then enter my command "photoprism index --cleanup" it runs perfectly. I however still cannot figure out how to enter this into the Cron GUI? Is there any further guidance?
I tried this as my Cron command: "k3s kubectl exec -n ix-photoprism --stdin --tty photoprism-66976f989b-4b6tr -- /bin/sh | photoprism index --cleanup" but get the attached error.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230815-081529.png
    Screenshot_20230815-081529.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 84

quintman

Cadet
Ah please disregard my last post! some further reading, I just needed to remove the /bin/sh | from my line and all working. thank you!

quintman

Cadet
Sorry have one further question. I have the following command that can run successfully as a Truenas cronjob:
"k3s kubectl exec -n ix-photoprism --stdin --tty photoprism-66976f989b-4b6tr -- photoprism index --cleanup"

However, I didn't realise that the pod name with kubernetes changes every time you stop and start an app (eg. a server restart). I had a restart, then my job failed. Then I noticed the string photoprism-66976f989b-4b6tr had changed. Is there anyway around this? It seems all the docker examples i can find only go to the container, not the specific pod, so its hard to find comparison. Some search has led that there is no way to fix a pod name.

sretalla