Nee help with CIFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico

Dabbler
Hello ppl, I am new to FreeNAS and need some help with CIFS. I have setup 2 windows shares and have made 2 accounts, but both accounts have access to both shares. Where can I read how to set permissions? I have read under documentation but that's not enough

jenksdrummer

Patron
1) Make sure your users are a member of a group. "Wheel" is the easiest...as you don't have to change much on the permissions side.
2) With a ZFS volume (assumed), you edit the permissions within the GUI by clicking on the key icon. The permissions you want to enable are all three checkboxes under "group" - if you added your users to a different group, then change it to match that. "Others" is what allows, essentially "everyone" to see - I usually leave these unchecked.
3) I've found it best/easiest to set up ZFS Datasets representing each share - this way I can manage permissions with a bit more granularity. This way, if you want only "User A" to have access to "Share 1", you set them as the owner of that volume, and leave only those checkboxes turned on....and if you want "User A" and "User B" to "Share 2", you do it with a group vs owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.