SOLVED nc: getaddrinfo: hostname nor servname provided, or not known

Arthur Hanlon

Dabbler
Hi all,

Not sure where to go with this one but I am getting spammed by my Freenas box with emails with the title above which seems to be referencing a script that used to run under CRON but not longer does and I can't for the life of me figure out what's generating these emails? To be frank, I'm not even sure where to start but the title of the email is:

"Cron <root@freenas> PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/root/bi n" /root/temps.sh > /dev/null"

temps.sh was a shell script that I used to use to push hard drive and CPU temps to a graphite server for a period of time. It does have the hostname of the graphite server in it and when I check this on the Freenas box at the commend line using DIG or DRILL it resolves perfectly fine.

Currently running 11.2-U4 on a Gen8 Microserver and gateway and DNS servers are set correctly, not sure what other information I should provide, if any though.

Cheers

D

dlavigne

To clarify, you used the UI to initially add the cron job and then to remove it?

Does updating to 11.2-U5 resolve the issue?

Arthur Hanlon

Dabbler
What I did was a fresh install and imported a config backup. I also changed the email address that the Freenas system was sending from and I was still getting email alerts from the old address. I also upgraded to U5.

I am using Mailjet as the sending platform for my email alerts and they have a limit of 10 emails per day so, on the face of it, it looks like perhaps there was a queue of old email alerts that were still sending through. It seems that the emails from the old address have now stopped and I am only now seeing emails from the new sending address.

TL;DR - I don't think this was a Freenas issue and seems to have died down now.