Navigating to \\myfreenasip prompts 1 pc for password other doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aschtra

Dabbler
Hi all,

Sorry for the vague title. Couldn't think of something better at the moment. So here is my situation, I've got a Windows 10 Pro PC which works as it should.
When I navigate to \\*myfreenasip* then I see all the shared folders. 2 of them are password protected and 1 of them has the guest allowed setting. This is how I want it to be set up.

I also have another laptop with Windows 10 Enterprise and when I try to go too \\*myfreenasip* then I am prompted for a password.
Same for my girlfriends Windows 10 Pro laptop

I do not want this. I want to see the available shares without a need for a password. Why does it act like this and how do I solve it?

What have I done:

I checked the network settings on both my PC which is working and my laptop. They are identical as far as I can see
When I navigate to the guest accessible folder directly ( \\*myfreenasip\guest ) on the laptop I still get prompted for a password
Restarted SMB service on FreeNAS server
remade the Shares within FreeNAS
Permission type for my MediaVolume is set to Windows.
Restarted Windows Machines multiple times. Didn't restarted FreeNAS server yet.

FreeNAS is running on my HP Microserver Gen8 with the standard 4GB of RAM and Intel Celeron CPU. (Not that this has any to do with the problem)

FreeNAS11 Update 4

I most likely need to provide more information but don't what I could.

Thank you!

edit:
FreeNAS reboot didn't work either. Still works on my PC but not on my laptop

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
FYI, 8GB is the minimum amount of RAM supported for FreeNAS.

Let's see a screenshot of your SMB configuration (Services->Wrench by SMB (make sure you click advanced)). Let's also see a screenshot of your SMB shares (Sharing->Windows (SMB)).

Aschtra

Dabbler
FYI, 8GB is the minimum amount of RAM supported for FreeNAS.

Let's see a screenshot of your SMB configuration (Services->Wrench by SMB (make sure you click advanced)). Let's also see a screenshot of your SMB shares (Sharing->Windows (SMB)).

Yes I know a mininum of 8GB ram is highly recommended. Will upgrade to 16GB within a month or two. Not my priority right now.
I might have figured it out. My PC does not require a login when booting to Windows. I have this disabled. It logs in automaticaly using my hotmail account.

Both the other laptops have a login before I can enter Windows. It appears that Windows tries to use this login information to enter the FreeNAS machine. Which results in failing.
There are several workarounds for this which I have to test;

- Creating an account with the username / password of the account that the computer uses
- Disabling requiring a login for Windows on the laptops. Possible on my girlfriends laptop but not on my work laptop.
- I thought I've seen an option to 'disallow login' on the SMB Service. Have to check that for sure and see what it does.

I already have an account btw which uses the same username/password as my domain account from work. However my work laptop tries to login with *domainname*\*username* instead of freenas\*username*

I will test this out and if still necessary provide the screenshots.

@Nick2253
It didn't work. Here is the screenshot:

SPT4yZ9.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.