NAS flooded my network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Yesterday I had some kind of a weird experience. I was encoding dvds directly to my NAS over SMB, and suddenly I noticed that encoding failed. It turned out that Handbrake was temporarily unable to write to the share for some reason. After this had happened a couple of times I noticed that all of a sudden the internet connection to my pc was severed. At first, I thought it to be a problem with my network cable, but between outages I could still saturate 1Gbit copying files. Then I tried rebooting my modem/router, which helped... for a short while.

Another symptom was that my laptop was unable to connect to wifi. I also discovered that I could ssh to my Raspberry Pi just fine, but that packets were dropped when pinging my NAS box. Also, FreeNAS' web GUI basically became unreachable, so in the end I just did an ACPI shutdown of my NAS and restarted it again. After this everything seemed fine and I am writing video files to my NAS as I am typing this. And as soon as my NAS went down my laptop successfully connected to my wifi.

It was a similar experience to an issue Chromecast had last December ( https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/18/chromecast_flooding_fix/ ), where I had to alter the settings of Google Home to resolve it temporarily until Google came up with a fix. But what on my NAS could have caused this? I hardly run any services other than Samba and have two jails: Plex and an simple jail from which Rclone makes my cloud backups. I did watch something using Plex and my Chromecast earlier on the day, but by the time the problems arose my Chromecast had already been offline for hours.

Does anyone have an idea where to look for what might have happened? The standard green messages screen in the web GUI showed nothing strange. Last Monday however, my NAS was forced to reboot due to a power outage, but I somewhat doubt whether that was related to yesterday's problem. Also, a scrub of the boot volume did not yield any errors. I am running FreeNAS 11.1U2.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Complete hardware specs please.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Ok that's a generic link to what you have. What is your hardware specs?

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Ah, my apologies. From the quick specs ( https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=a00008701enw ):

Processor: AMD Opteron™ X3216 (1.6-3.0GHz/2-core/1MB/12-15W) Processor
Memory: 8GB (1 x 8GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 UDIMM
Network Controller: Embedded Broadcom BCM5720 Dual Port 1Gbe LOM
Storage Controller: Embedded Marvell 88SE9230 SATA controller

One other thing that popped into my mind is that I am running powerd.

Status
Not open for further replies.