Dataset outside of network and offline storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwslippey

Contributor
I have noticed recently that I still somewhat rely on google drive for data storage for small files I might need when I’m out of the house. Curious how I could go about making something work outside the network with offline storage for my laptop when I’m not near an internet connection.

The files aren’t large and I don’t really need or want the website access just simple folder access

Was thinking of a VM for google drive but seems overkill.

Btsync?
Owncloud?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icsy7867

Contributor
Do you use SMB/CFIS shares? Is your laptops a Windows laptop?

If so you can just mount the SMB share on windows and enable "Offline Sync". This wouldn't need any additional software or setup.
Of course one of the apps you listed would probably work as well. Just depends on what you are comfortable with.

rwslippey

Contributor
Do you use SMB/CFIS shares? Is your laptops a Windows laptop?

If so you can just mount the SMB share on windows and enable "Offline Sync". This wouldn't need any additional software or setup.
Of course one of the apps you listed would probably work as well. Just depends on what you are comfortable with.

You know, I did that years ago with samba and an old Linux server but never thought of that at all. Thanks. I think that just might fit the bill here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am new to FreeNAS but I personally use nextcloud and would recommend you look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.